VANCOUVER, British Columbia and MENLO PARK, Calif., Oct. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The president and CEO of DelMar Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (OTCQB: DMPI) ("DelMar Pharma" or "DelMar") Jeffrey Bacha spoke to Life Science IP Review (LSIPR) about developing new intellectual property (IP) for their lead drug candidate, VAL-083, a new therapy in development to treat glioblastoma multiforme (GBM). Mr. Bacha told LSIPR that there is a "significant unmet need" for effective glioblastoma treatments. DelMar is currently building on studies from the National Institutes of Health and the company's own internal research to streamline the process of getting VAL-083 to market to benefit both patients and investors. DelMar's intellectual property strategy has already resulted in seven patent applications, and, in July this year, they received their first U.S. patent.
Read the full article at: http://www.lifesciencesipreview.com/article/teaching-old-drugs-new-tricks
Jeffrey Bacha, president and CEO of DelMar Pharma, "Our strategy is based on others who have gone before us, who have taken old drugs, taught them new tricks and built successful patents around them."
"Looking at it in American football terms, you're starting from midfield versus your own 20-yard line, so the pathway is potentially much shorter."
- Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is an aggressive brain cancer that is often resistant to chemotherapies, like Temodar, due to the MGMT enzyme
- VAL-083, a known first-in class cancer treatment, is being developed by DelMar as a novel treatment for GBM and acts independent of MGMT
- Research into VAL-083 builds on an existing safety database of more than 1,000 patients in the U.S.
- DelMar Pharma has filed seven new patent applications related to VAL-083, and has received one US patent covering drug manufacturing methods.
- VAL-083 has been approved in China for the treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia and lung cancer.
- VAL-083 has been designated an orphan drug by the FDA and EMEA and has been granted seven years of market exclusivity in the US and 10 years in Europe.
- DelMar Pharma is developing the screening process where drug candidates are identified and the process of manufacturing and scaling up the VAL-083 compound.
About DelMar Pharmaceuticals
Del Mar Pharmaceuticals was founded in 2010 to develop and commercialize proven cancer therapies in new orphan drug indications where patients are failing modern targeted or biologic treatments. The Company's lead asset, VAL-083, is currently undergoing clinical trials in the United States as a potential treatment for refractory glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), the most common and aggressive form of brain cancer. VAL-083 benefits from extensive clinical research sponsored by the U.S. National Cancer Institute, and is currently approved for the treatment of chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) and lung cancer in China. Published pre-clinical and clinical data suggest that VAL-083 may be active against a range of tumor types via a novel mechanism of action.
For more information, please visit www.delmarpharma.com or follow us on Twitter @delmarpharma
Safe Harbor Statement
Any statements contained in this press release that do not describe historical facts may constitute forward-looking statements as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Any forward-looking statements contained herein are based on current expectations, but are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties. The factors that could cause actual future results to differ materially from current expectations include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties relating to the Company's ability to develop, market and sell products based on its technology; the expected benefits and efficacy of the Company's products and technology; the availability of substantial additional funding for the Company to continue its operations and to conduct research and development, clinical studies and future product commercialization; and, the Company's business, research, product development, regulatory approval, marketing and distribution plans and strategies. These and other factors are identified and described in more detail in our filings with the SEC, including, our current reports on Form 8-K. We do not undertake to update these forward-looking statements made by us.
SOURCE DelMar Pharmaceuticals