1. Singapore, 9 April 2013 – GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and A*STAR’s Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences (ICES) have signed a five-year strategic agreement to develop new evidence based formulations (EBFs) specifically for emerging markets. EBFs are medicines which are reformulated to provide additional patient benefit.
2. ICES has a long standing relationship with GSK since 2003, and the development of EBFs will further strengthen the relationship between both parties. The collaboration leverages on ICES’ strengths and expertise in synthesis, formulation and process development, as well as GSK’s vast experience in drug candidate selection, optimisation, and product development in novel formulations. The collaboration will enhance ICES’ technical expertise and know-how in drug product formulation, analytical techniques, development and scale up. It will develop a pool of local expertise in specialised formulation for pharmaceutical development in Singapore.
3. “Collaborating with GSK, a global leader in pharmaceuticals and healthcare provides an opportunity for us to further our research and deepen our capabilities in formulation science with skilled scientists and technical expertise. This venture will enable us to develop future scientists and laboratory analysts with the right skills to grow this industry in Singapore” said Dr Keith Carpenter, Executive Director, ICES.
4. The establishment of a joint partnership between ICES and GSK will position Singapore as a regional centre for drug development for the emerging markets1.
5. “This agreement with ICES is perfectly aligned with GSK’s strategic priority of growing a diversified global business, whilst bringing affordable, quality GSK medicines of value to more people who need them. Within GSK’s portfolio of off-patent products, EBFs are an important part of our growth strategy, and our hope is that together with ICES we will create a sustainable, scalable model to meet both specific market conditions and patient requirements,” commented Duncan McKay, Vice President, Emerging Markets & Asia Pacific R&D, GSK.
6. “We are pleased that GSK has chosen Singapore as a strategic partner to develop new evidenced-based drug formulations. This is a strong endorsement of Singapore’s scientific talent and capabilities. It also further reinforces Singapore’s offering as the base for companies to generate insights and develop new solutions and market access strategies for the fast growing emerging markets,” said Kevin Lai, Director, Biomedical Sciences, Singapore Economic Development Board.
1 Growth in emerging markets especially China, Brazil, India and Russia will account for nearly 40% of the global pharmaceutical market by 2016. - Roland Berger Strategy Consultants, “Global Pharmaceutical Industry Is In A Strategic Crisis – Business Models Must Be Adjusted”, January 2013
For media enquiries, please contact:
Garry Daniels (Singapore)
Tel.: +65 6232 8187
David Daley (London)
Tel.: +44 (0) 20 8047 5502
Ms Caroline Chia
Tel.: +65 6796 3884
Mobile: +65 91703988
About Evidence Based Formulations (EBFs)
An Evidence-Based Formulation (EBF) is a differentiated drug that has been reformulated to offer additional patient benefit. EBF’s are often fixed-dose combinations of active drugs or new formulations with different pharmacokinetic properties, new routes of delivery, or improved safety profiles. EBF’s are also referred to as Value Added Formulations, or Incrementally Modified Drugs.
One of the world’s leading research-based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. For further information please visit www.gsk.com.
About GSK in Singapore
Singapore is home to GSK’s Regional Headquarters (Emerging Markets & Asia Pacific), an R&D facility (Biopolis), two global manufacturing and supply sites (Jurong & Quality Road), a Stiefel manufacturing facility, and a state-of-the-art vaccines plant (Tuas).
About the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)
The Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) is the lead agency for fostering world-class scientific research and talent for a vibrant knowledge-based and innovation-driven Singapore. A*STAR oversees 14 biomedical sciences and physical sciences and engineering research institutes, and six consortia & centres, located in Biopolis and Fusionopolis as well as their immediate vicinity. A*STAR supports Singapore's key economic clusters by providing intellectual, human and industrial capital to its partners in industry. It also supports extramural research in the universities, and with other local and international partners. For more information about A*STAR, please visit www.a-star.edu.sg.
About the Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences (ICES)
Institute of Chemical and Engineering Sciences (ICES) is a member of the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR). Established in 2002, its mission is to carry out world class scientific research, to develop novel technology and to nurture creative scientists and engineers to support economic growth in Singapore and to make a positive difference to society. The research area covers chemistry and chemical engineering science, combined with advanced analytical characterisation and measurement to develop state of the art technology for the petrochemical, general chemical, fine chemical and pharmaceutical industries. For more information, visit www.ices.a-star.edu.sg