(TAMPA, FLA. USA, 29 January 2013) – The Facility of the Year Awards Judging Panel has named six Category Award Winners in the 2013 Facility of the Year Awards (FOYA) program. The winning projects for 2013 were selected from 27 well-qualified entries and are located in Ireland, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
“The FOYA program is about recognizing the pharmaceutical industry’s innovation and technical advances in facility manufacturing, which ultimately is about helping patients who need and depend upon us for a reliable supply of quality medications,” said Chaz Calitri, Vice President of Network Performance at Pfizer and chair of the 2013 FOYA Judging Panel. “The six facilities honored by this year’s awards program embody innovation, exemplified by advances in areas including flu vaccine manufacturing, which is very relevant in parts of the world right now where outbreaks have occurred, threatening public health. All of this year’s honorees are to be commended for their important contributions to our industry and, most importantly, to improving people’s lives.”
The winning companies and respective award categories are:
• Biogen Idec, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Facility Integration for its Flexible Volume Manufacturing (FVM) Project in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina USA.
• F. Hoffmann – La Roche, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Project Execution for its TR&D – Building 97 Facility in Basel Switzerland.
• MedImmune, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Equipment Innovation for its UK Automation Upgrade Project in Speke, Liverpool UK
• Merck & Co., Inc., winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Operational Excellence for its Vaccine and Biologics Sterile Facility (VBSF) Project in Carlow Ireland
• Morphotek, Inc., winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Sustainability for its Morphotek Pilot Plant in Exton, Pennsylvania USA
• Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Process Innovation for its U.S. Flu Cell Culture Facility in Holly Springs, North Carolina USA
More information about the 2013 Category Winners and their projects can be found atwww.FacilityoftheYear.org/FOYAWinners2013.
About the Facility of the Year Awards Program
Sponsored by ISPE, INTERPHEX, and Pharmaceutical Processing magazine, the Facility of the Year Awards (FOYA) is an annual program recognizing state-of-the-art pharmaceutical manufacturing projects that utilize new and innovative technologies to enhance the delivery of a superior project, as well as reduce the cost of producing high-quality medicines. Now in its ninth year, the awards program effectively demonstrates the accomplishments, shared commitment, and dedication of individuals in companies worldwide to innovate and advance pharmaceutical manufacturing technology for the benefit of all global consumers.
For more information, contact:
Vice President – Strategic Initiatives, INTERPHEX