LAKEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Terumo BCT announced plans to invest in its existing U.S. manufacturing operations at its global headquarters, based in Lakewood, Colo., and to build a new manufacturing facility in Vietnam. Investment in the Colorado and Vietnam facilities will support growth and demand for blood and cellular therapy products and equipment globally.
• Terumo BCT’s parent company, Terumo Corporation, is committing $100M to fund both projects
• $6M is being leveraged to expand operations at the Colorado manufacturing facility
• Investment in the Colorado facility is planned for FY2013
• $94M is being invested in the new Vietnam facility
• Ground breaking on the new Vietnam facility is expected to begin in early 2013 with plans to have the facility complete and operational by 2015
• The Vietnam facility is being developed on an area of 10 hectares
• Terumo BCT products are manufactured in five locations: China, India, Japan, Northern Ireland and the U.S.
• Terumo BCT was established through the integration of CaridianBCT and Terumo Transfusion, following Terumo Corporation's acquisition of CaridianBCT in April 2011
• Terumo BCT, headquartered in Lakewood, Colorado, is the only Terumo Corporation subsidiary with its global headquarters located outside of Japan
• Terumo BCT has more than 2,600 associates, and customers in more than 120 countries and territories, with regional headquarters in Brussels, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong and Tokyo
• Terumo BCT serves three primary customer segments: Blood Centers, Hospitals & Therapeutic Apheresis Centers and Biotech & Cell Processing
Koji Nakao, Terumo Corporation, Chairman and Representative Director
“The investment in these facilities demonstrates our commitment to investing in Terumo BCT and to contributing to the long-term goals of the business and our mission, at Terumo, of ‘Contributing to Society through Healthcare.’”
David Perez, Terumo BCT President and CEO; Terumo Corporation, Chairman, Blood Management Business Division
“This is an exciting time for our organization. In just 12 months, we combined the businesses of CaridianBCT and Terumo Transfusion to emerge as Terumo BCT, one united global leader in blood component, therapeutic apheresis and cellular technologies.”
“With Terumo’s investment we are able to expand our global capabilities and footprint to be even more responsive to the demands of the marketplace. This investment demonstrates Terumo’s commitment to the industry, to our organization and to better serve our current and future customers.”
Craig Rinehardt, Senior Vice President, Global Operations
“The investment being made in Terumo BCT’s state-of-the-art facilities aligns our global manufacturing strategies, supports incremental capacity needs and furthers our commitment to our business continuity infrastructure. We remain focused on building the right products at the right time, while maintaining the highest level of quality and standards.”
Terumo BCT About Us
About Terumo BCT:
Terumo BCT, a global leader in blood component, therapeutic apheresis and cellular technologies, is the only company with the unique combination of apheresis collections, manual and automated whole blood processing, and pathogen reduction coupled with leading technologies in therapeutic apheresis and cell processing. We believe in the potential of blood to do even more for patients than it does today. This belief inspires our innovation and strengthens our collaboration with customers.
About Terumo Corporation:
Tokyo-based Terumo Corporation is one of the world's leading medical device manufacturers with operations in more than 160 nations. Founded in 1921, the company develops, manufactures and distributes world-class medical devices including products for use in cardiothoracic surgery, interventional procedures and transfusion medicine; the company also manufactures a broad array of syringe and hypodermic needle products for hospital and physician office use. Terumo contributes to society by providing valued products and services to the healthcare market and by responding to the needs of healthcare providers and the people they serve. Terumo Corporation's shares are listed on the first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange (No. 4543, Reuters symbol <4543.T>, or Bloomberg 4543: JP) and is a component of the Nikkei 225, Japan's leading stock index.
Laura Fusco, +1-303-205-2546
Global Corporate Communications