ROCKVILLE, MD and SEOUL, KOREA--(Marketwire - July 20, 2011) - Seegene today announced that it will unveil TOCE™, a new platform technology for real-time PCR, at the 2011 Clinical Lab Expo of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), booth #1653.
TOCE™ is a novel technology for melting curve analysis. The method is readily used for organism identification and the detection of mutations in clinical samples. Until now, melting curve analysis has been constrained by several inherent limitations -- namely, constrained probe design, the inability to extensively and efficiently multiplex, and high sensitivity of the melting curves (Tm) due to sequence variation of the probe site.
TOCE technology overcomes these limitations, providing:
- Multiplexing in a single fluorescence channel: TOCE technology is able to screen and identify multiple pathogens simultaneously in a single fluorescence channel.
- Consistency in Tm value no matter the sequence variation: In case of Influenza A, Human rhinovirus and Human adenovirus virus that have high sequence variation, it is only at the maximum of 13°C that sequence differences can be observed using melting curve analysis. In contrast, TOCE technology is not affected by sequence variations, thereby guaranteeing consistent Tm values.
- As sensitive as singleplex real-time PCR: TOCE technology provides the same level of sensitivity as probe-based singleplex real-time PCR.
- Identical efficiency between single infection and co-infection: With TOCE technology amplifying multiple pathogens is as efficient as single pathogen amplification.
- Cross-platform compatibility: TOCE-based tests can be used with real-time instruments currently in use in the clinical laboratory, enabling healthcare organizations to leverage existing laboratory investment.
Dr. Jong-Yoon Chun, Chief Executive Officer of Seegene, said, "TOCE technology will open new opportunities for detecting different, and more types of infectious diseases, such as MTB, respiratory infections, and STIs, and genetic mutations. Furthermore, it will enable multiplex real-time PCR to be more widely used in molecular diagnostics."
Seegene will begin introducing TOCE in its lineup of multiplex diagnostic tests. The first application of TOCE will be a respiratory test that simultaneously detects 16 respiratory viruses and 5 pneumonic bacteria, and a test for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) that simultaneously detects 7 pathogens.
Seegene, Inc. is a leading molecular diagnostics company developing, manufacturing and marketing innovative "multiplex" (or "multi-pathogen detection") molecular diagnostic products and services. It holds proprietary technologies of both PCR and Real-time PCR named ACP™, DPO™, and READ, which sets a standard in high-throughput and simultaneous multi-pathogen detection called "multiplex PCR." The novel multiplex Real-time PCR technology, READ, overcomes the limitations of conventional Real-time PCR, providing dramatic improvement in sensitivity and specificity. Seegene holds three novel Molecular diagnostic platforms: Seeplex® system adapting DPO™ Technology, Anyplex™ and Magicplex™ system which are Real-time PCR detection platforms adapting DPO™ and READ Technology. Seegene's products detect multi-pathogens with great reliability and throughput, ultimately providing the most economical basis for saving time, labor and cost. Seegene's mission is to maintain leadership in molecular diagnostics for infectious diseases, genetics, pharmacogenetics, and oncology using innovative proprietary technologies.
For more information please visit www.seegene.com or call +301-762-9066.