In the context of the rapidly evolving healthcare environment with extreme focus on the cost and affordability of innovative new specialty medicines, Amgen is committed to developing a new capability to develop and execute global strategies to establish and sustain value-based partnerships with healthcare payers, governments and delivery systems. This includes the establishment of a new global value-based partnership hub that will explore and execute new and innovative mechanisms of patient access that create win-win-win situations for patients, payers and Amgen, while improving access to key stakeholders and their support of policies that shape the external environment. The global team will lead complex, cross regional and cross-therapeutic area partnerships, but will also be tasked with providing strategic and analytical support to the product-level partnerships led by the regions and countries. The global function will be responsible for tracking and reporting on all value-based partnerships in the company. The Director will serve as a Global Value-Based Partnership Lead (VBPL) reporting to the Global Head of Value-Based Partnerships.
The possible locations for this role include Amgen's corporate headquarters in Thousand Oaks, its sites in South San Francisco, Cambridge, MA or Washington, D.C, and remote work arrangements in the U.S
- Serve as critical partner to the Global Head of Value-Based Partnerships in building Amgen's new Global Partnership Hub, tasked with expanding Amgen's presence in the Value-Based Healthcare space
- Lead on prospecting for strategic corporate level partnership opportunities
- Lead Therapeutic Area (TA) & Corporate-Level partner segmentation & identification
- Lead TA & Corporate-Level negotiations with large strategic partners
- Drive ideation, segmentation and business case development globally for Therapeutic and Corporate-Level Partnerships
- Provide strategic and analytic support to regional and affiliate brand teams and global product teams in product-level partnership ideation in conjunction with existing business planning processes
- Ensure clear and consistent communication between the Global Partnership Hub and the regional Value-Based Partnership Teams
- Work with the Hub Planning and Operations (Ops) and Partnership Manager to drive partnerships from concept stage through to execution
- Work with Global Head of Value-Based Partnerships and Hub Planning and Ops on strategic planning and partnership prioritization
- Work with Global Head of Value-Based Partnerships to develop deal terms
- Drive end-to-end negotiation and execution of TA or Corporate-Level partnerships
- Work with Hub Planning & Ops on Business Case Development, Valuation, and Prioritization
- Ensure seamless transition of negotiated partnerships deals to Partnership Manager upon execution for navigation of internal governance process and partnership management
- Lead partnership deal process through from ideation to execution
- Present to and drive funding D by senior management
- Ensure legal and compliance guardrails are respected
Doctorate degree and 4 years of market access and/or payer experience and/or health economics and outcomes research experience and/or business development experience and/or sales experience
Master's degree and 7 years of market access and/or payer experience and/or health economics and outcomes research experience and/or business development experience and/or sales experience
Bachelor's degree and 9 years of market access and/or payer experience and/or health economics and outcomes research experience and/or business development experience and/or sales experience
- MBA, MPH or MS
- Understanding or familiarity with the Value & Access organization, and how it interfaces with other parts of the business
- Business development / partnership experience across a broad spectrum of healthcare system stakeholders (e.g., payers, providers, academic organizations, patient organizations, government organizations, health technology companies)
- Previous experience in a payer role or in international (ex-US) value access assignment and/or experience in pharmaceutical pricing
- Contracting and valuation modeling experience
- Awareness and ability to navigate and conform to Commercialization and Corporate Governance processes
- Strong understanding of the payer environment in major countries, including coverage and reimbursement, pricing, health technologies assessment
- Ability to formulate health policy strategy and implement these strategies to shape external pricing and reimbursement environment
- Ability to review clinical and health economic literature, including disease state information, clinical trial design and results, and pharmacoeconomic studies, in order to understand implications for value to payers and providers
- Quick learner, proactive, takes initiative, goal oriented and results drive
- Strong interpersonal skills, negotiation skills, active listening, and relationship management skills
- Ability to manage in a highly fluid, interactive, matrixed environment and build strong, successful business partnerships with affiliate, regional and global colleagues.
- Demonstrated ability to bring structure to vaguely defined problems, pragmatically scope problem solving approach, and manage execution.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, identify strategic options and trade-offs
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability in development of business strategy
- Excellent oral/written communications skills and interpersonal skills.
The successful candidate will bring strong knowledge of market access in the
pharma/biotech business, a deep understanding of the healthcare environment, strong strategic & analytical skills for conducting appropriate analyses and decisions to support management of Amgen's business, and experience in engaging in Value-Based Partnerships between pharma/biotech and other healthcare system stakeholders.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.