Amgen is seeking a Strategy Director at its main headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA to join the Strategy & Innovation group structuring and evolving its Genetics Strategy. This position will report to the Strategy Executive Director and will be a highly visible and exciting role leading Amgen's presence in this rapidly evolving sector. The role provides the opportunity to work with internal and external genetics leaders to uncover novel therapeutic targets and improve lives. Amgen already has a strong presence in genetics, underpinned by the acquisition and integration of global human genetics leader deCODE. The Strategy Director-Genetics will play a key role in shaping Amgen's future presence in the genetics sector.
The Corporate Strategy group advises Amgen's leadership on therapeutic portfolio evolution, material business development opportunities, and on building or strengthening new capabilities (e.g., 'Beyond the molecule' innovations, genetics, next generation manufacturing). The group also manages communication of Amgen's strategy to its Board and serves as a high visibility platform for identification and development of talent.
Travel: Domestic and International travel of up to 10% may be essential.
- Integration of genetics into Amgen's corporate strategy
- Identification and prioritization of strategic imperatives
- Alignment with functional experts on problem statement and areas for exploration
- Creation of up-to-date genetics landscape including key players and technologies
- Development of an integrated genetics strategy and operating model
- Assessment of need for genetics capabilities across Amgen's portfolio
- Identification of novel capabilities and technologies required to execute strategy. Identification of and engagement with potential partners to expand Amgen's genetic capabilities and technologies.
- Partnership with Amgen experts in multiple functions and regions and leadership of cross-functional project teams
Doctorate degree and 4 years of consulting experience in healthcare strategy and/or M&A (Mergers & Acquisition) and/or drug discovery experience
OR Master's degree and 7 years of consulting experience in healthcare strategy and/or M&A and/or drug discovery experience
OR Bachelor's degree and 9 years of consulting experience in healthcare strategy and/or M&A and/or drug discovery experience
- MD or PhD degree and 10+ years' experience in life sciences, consulting, finance; genetics/genomics research experience
- Excellent conceptual problem solving and analytical skills with demonstrated ability to bring structure to vaguely defined problems, pragmatically scope problem solving approach, and manage execution
- Understanding of drug development and commercialization as well as experience scanning for high-potential partnership/licensing/acquisition targets
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills, senior executive presence even in ad-hoc situations and a decisive yet affiliative leadership style to drive results while maintaining relationships
- Strong influencing skills with a demonstrated ability to influence different styles and individuals at different levels in organization
- Demonstrated organization management experience including developing and mentoring staff
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.