Relypsa, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of polymeric medicines for patients with conditions that are often overlooked and undertreated and can be addressed in the gastrointestinal tract. The Company's first medicine, Veltassa® (patiromer) for oral suspension, was developed based on Relypsa's rich legacy in polymer science. Relypsa was founded in 2007 and, in September 2016, became a Vifor Pharma company. More information is available at www.relypsa.com.
Veltassa® (patiromer) for oral suspension was approved in October 2015 for the treatment of hyperkalemia, a condition defined as elevated blood potassium levels that can cause abnormal heart rhythms and even sudden death. A potassium binder, Veltassa® is the first new medicine for the treatment of hyperkalemia in more than 50 years and is the first commercialized medicine resulting from Relypsa’s polymer technology platform. Relypsa is committed to ensuring that people living with the burden of hyperkalemia have access to Veltassa®.
A highly motivated biochemist with an exceptional ability to develop and execute in vitro assays applicable to drug discovery, and to solve difficult technical problems. Will participate in the characterization of novel polymers by using in vitro assays, assessing their selectivity and capacity for binding to target molecules in conditions that mimic the in vivo gastrointestinal tract. Must have experience developing in vitro binding assays, which are robust and easy to perform at moderate to high throughput. Will be expected to work independently, but to seek input from within the biology and chemistry groups as necessary. Will have the ability to rapidly assess the quality of assay data and to troubleshoot problems.
• Develop and execute in vitro assays applicable to drug discovery
• Characterize novel polymers by using in vitro assays, assessing their selectivity and capacity for binding to target molecules
• Assess the quality of assay data and to troubleshoot problems
• Write project reports suitable for regulatory filings
• Present data to Research group and to scientific advisors
• Communicate cross-functionally with groups such as chemistry to ensure appropriate project support
• Provide scientific/technical guidance to junior staff as appropriate
• Research new concepts as necessary
• Work with manager to communicate issues and influence decisions
• Interpret, document and communicate experimental findings
• Maintain awareness of relevant scientific literature, incorporating findings into research
• Contributes to publications and patents
• A minimum of a Master's degree in biochemistry is preferred, or comparable experience. An advanced degree is highly desired.
• At least 5 years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry, with expertise in pharmaceutical assay development a must
• Solid experience in biochemistry in a research setting
• Laboratory skills, such as assay development skills, complex buffer selection and preparation, ELISA experience
• Previous experience working with polymers (for example, calculating Langmuir isotherms) is desirable but not essential
• Ability to design specific types of binding assays, and to derive binding parameters from mathematical analysis of the data
• Hands-on experience with ion chromatography is desirable
• Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques, such as data trend analysis and design of experiments, is highly desirable
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required
As an employee of Relypsa, you will actively contribute to the development of potential new products. We provide opportunities for all employees to collaborate, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Relypsa’s high regard for our employees.
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Relypsa is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.