If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Senior Scientist or Scientist II - Human T Cell Immunologist in Gaithersburg, MD , you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
MedImmune has an opening for a Senior Scientist / Scientist II, Human T Cell Cancer Immunologist within Vaccines Research in Gaithersburg, MD. You will be an integral part of a team whose goal is to design and develop novel cancer immunotherapies directed against shared and neo-antigens. You will be responsible for the discovery and validation of targets for T cell-based immune-therapies with a specific focus on MHC-class I bound peptide targets for multiple haplotypes. You will be responsible for developing novel cell-based assays and the in depth evaluation of T cell specificities. This position will also play a critical role in developing assays and shaping the Clinical Translational Immunology strategy for therapeutic vaccines. You will need to work effectively as part of a team and independently within their role. You will supervise research associates within a direct or matrix reporting structure.
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Oncology, Cell Biology or related field and two or more years of experience in post-doctoral research experience.
- Demonstrate broad theoretical and practical knowledge of the field of Human T Cell Immunology.
- In-depth experience developing and/or conducting in vitro antigen presentation assays and T cell expansion for the purpose of studying human T cell responses to self and/or foreign antigens (CD8 T cell focus) and in the generation of human T cell clones.
- Previous experience characterizing/phenotyping human T cells isolated from peripheral blood and from tumor biopsies including identifying TCR specificities (e.g. epitope mapping), affinities, and sequences.
- Define critical scientific questions/hypothesis and address them through the design and execution of controlled experimentation.
- The ability to work cross-functionally with scientists from other disciplines.
- Ability to prepare precise protocols, quantitative analyses, and technical reports.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate to a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Highly organized, with the ability to develop focused work packages, prioritize based on defined goals, and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Scientist II -- PhD plus four or more years of experience.
- Senior Scientist -- PhD plus seven to ten years of experience
- Solid publication record is strongly preferred.
- Experience with developing pharmaceuticals that target T cell function.
- Experience developing therapeutic vaccines for oncology or chronic infections.
- Experience supervising research associates.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.