At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Senior Process Development Engineer to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
This position will be a key team member for transitioning the Light Directed Array Synthesis (LiDAS DNA) platform from R&D into production. Subsequent to establishing the initial operational aspects of the LiDAS synthesizer, the position will transition into development of process and procedures to operate the machines and incorporate them into standard manufacturing operations.
• Provide instrument related development and optimization support for the LiDAS synthesis platform.
• Performs various chemical related experiments, electro-mechanical, electrical and software troubleshooting and translation of LiDAS setup documentation into workable SGI procedures.
• Provide input and design solutions to improve instrument usage and solve problematic areas of the instrument.
• Refine software scripting routines to improve system performance.
• Recommend and implement solutions.
• Perform periodic reports and reviews of projects as needed.
• Liaison with internal resources in the area of chemistry to co-develop solutions related to instrumentation functionality.
• Oversee the testing of assembled instruments and analyze test results and develop strategies to improve performance, reliability and reduce cost. Develop and produce logs, procedures and reports on operational techniques and testing methods and results.
• Interface with outside vendors and material suppliers as well as other consultants and contacts as required to resolve issues.
• Actively participate on project teams to develop Engineering plans and objectives and to carry out the necessary effort.
• May directly supervise or indirectly guide technicians and customer service personnel.
• May perform other related duties as required and/or assigned.
• Bachelors or Master’s degree in Mechanical/Bio-Medical or Chemical Engineering, Biology or related field, or the equivalent knowledge and experience required.
• Requires a minimum of five years relevant engineering experience with an M.S. degree; at least 8 years experience with a B.S. degree.
• Background in development of chemistry -related instrumentation is preferred, familiarity with fluidics and optimizing processes relating to Oligonucleotide synthesis and assembly, modification or detection is highly desirable.
• In-depth knowledge of general chemistry, fluidics, data analysis and documentation required.
• Experience with Solidworks 3D modeling preferred.
• Excellent communications and analytical skills necessary.