Sr. Engineer – Power, Controls and Automation-Newark, DE
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Sr. Engineer – Power, Controls and Automation in Newark, DE, you’ll play a pivotal role in channelling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. Operations at AstraZeneca is a truly world-class business unit. It offers one of the most exciting, fast paced, challenging and rewarding work environments in the world of operations, supply chain and manufacturing.
Brief Job Description
System Owner for Site Electrical Distribution and Building Automation system provides guidance for day to day issues as well as delivery of capital projects for electrical distribution system modifications / upgrades. Leads the Power, Controls and Automation Community of Practice. Responsible for ensuring technical support for all electronics and control systems throughout the PET/Facility. This includes establishment of standards and strategy for all electronics and control systems including PLCs, HMIs, SCADA, distributed controls, BAS, Lighting controls/energy management, Life safety, batching systems, industrial SQL database applications etc. Manages controls and automation technology to deliver highly reliable controls infrastructure and provide technical input to Engineering project teams, relative to design standards, installation and commissioning of control systems.
In addition to the general description of the parent profile role for this job function, the following summarize key result areas, specific accountabilities and / or tasks, etc. associated with this job title:
- Leads Community of Practice to build / maintain controls and automation strategy, standardization, and individual skill development of engineers, technicians and mechanics.
- Manages activities to ensure compliance with regulatory standards (FDA, MHRA, OSHA etc) site standards and policies and SHE standards as well as all local, state and federal rules and regulations
- Promote an environment for automation innovation
- Develop and deliver technical training throughout the facility related to electronics, controls and automation
- Collaborates with Sr Building Manager to develop appropriate individual and team goals and provide input into performance reviews
- Drive and support OEE initiatives
- Support computer and control system validation as required including System Registration, Risk Assessments, User training and audits.
- Interface with IS/IT for network and server support of process control systems
- As System Owner for Power Distribution, Building Automation System & Production Controls & Automation:-
o Responsible for PM creation, PM scheduling frequency, PM optimization and Condition based Maintenance Program
o Responsible for all technical completion of PM and CM work
o Conducts failure analysis on system to identify improvement opportunities
o Responsible for deviation investigations and CAPA mitigation
o Develops and initiates controls and automation strategy for the facility including equipment, methods, operating standards and techniques
o Investigate, analyze and implement concepts that employ new or existing controls or automation technology to improve building and control systems operation, performance, energy efficiency, financial return, safety, and compliance
o Ensure engineering standards for controls and automation systems are kept up to date, reflecting the current strategy.
o Provide technical input to engineering project teams as a subject matter expert in electronics, controls and automation relative to application of design standards, installation and commissioning of controls systems
o Interfaces with engineers, vendors, technicians, peers throughout the facilities organization and PET personnel to effectively develop and implement system design improvements
o Provide technical input to Engineering project teams, relative to design standards, installation and commissioning of control systems
o Participate in the design and implementation of future control systems, system integration and implementation for new equipment and processes
o Execute capital projects as required
- Takes part in the Facilities Management and Engineering Weekend on Call Program.
Change Control Owner for Project or Automation changes including Computer Validation document creation and execution.
- Conduct activities and interactions consistent with Company values and in compliance with the Code of Conduct and supporting Policies and Standards relevant to your role. Complete all required training on the AZ Code of Conduct and supporting Policies and Standards on time. Report potential issues of non-compliance.
In addition, for Project Team Leaders:
- Ensure and monitor compliance by team members and third parties by (a) positively reinforcing the Code of Conduct and all relevant AstraZeneca Policies and Standards, (b) ensuring completion of all required training, (c) fostering a culture of openness in which employees are comfortable raising questions or concerns, and (d) immediately addressing and reporting, as appropriate, instances of non-compliance.
- Project Team Leader Accountabilities at AstraZeneca include Ethical Conduct and Compliance, Team Management, SHE accountabilities, and Fiscal and Financial awareness.
Leaders with accountability for GXP areas are expected to understand the legal and regulatory requirements of their roles in providing appropriate resources (which could be human, financial, material, facilities, and equipment) to maintain the Quality system and continually improve its effectiveness.
Education, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- BS in electrical or automation controls engineering or related discipline
- Senior Engineer - Minimum 5 years experience in engineering discipline preferably with process control systems and power distribution
- Experience in GMP, R&D, commercial or regulated environment, specifically responsible for equipment performance including design, repair and troubleshooting
- Experience in PLC programming, SCADA control and automation, system integration instrumentation, and electrical design and specification documentation
Experience in in Electrical Engineering topics including power distribution, short circuit and arc flash analysis, NEC, UPS and emergency generators systems
Next Steps – Apply today!
- Working knowledge of TDMS, Microsoft applications, SAP
- Experience in equipment design, installation, start-up and maintenance
- Training or experience in the applicable following technologies: automation systems, HMI, printing, bar coding, scanning and detection systems, Modbus Plus, ethernet, motion control systems, lighting control, energy management, security systems, Siemens, Allen Bradley, BAS, Fire systems
- Strong working knowledge of HVAC, mechanical and electrical principles
- GMP Calibration and/or documentation systems management experience
- Knowledge or previous experience in managing maintenance programs
- Experience in Six Sigma/ analytical trouble shooting skills
- Experience working in a LEAN environment
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.