Receptos, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Celgene, is a San Diego-based biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing innovative therapeutics in immune disease. We are currently searching for a seasoned drug developer with specific and deep scientific expertise in CNS indications. This Sr. Director of Neurology who will be responsible for guiding the strategy within the CNS area and leading a group of in vitro and in vivo scientists to discover and develop drug candidates within neurology. In addition to building a robust in-house small molecule drug discovery pipeline, the Sr. Director of Neurology will guide the diligence of potential in-licensing of preclinical and clinical stage assets. A Sr. Direction will have excellent communication, interpersonal and management experience and skills to collaborate and direct the research efforts. He or she will work cross-functionally to set project priorities, develop and mentor staff, as well as manage budgets and resources. The successful candidate will interface with the Research, Clinical, Commercial, and Translational Teams.
This position is located at our San Diego facility.
• Lead and direct the neurobiology of all in-house drug discovery programs.
• Interact closely and build consensus with the Chemistry and Preclinical Sciences teams.
• Build an in-house discovery pipeline by leading a cross-functional team in the identification of compelling new small molecule drug targets in CNS diseases and initiating new drug discovery programs.
• Develop staffing plans to support discovery pipeline expansion.
• Collaborate with Preclinical Sciences in the development of animal models with neurology, planning IND-enabling studies and contributing to the preparation of Regulatory documents
• Manage the Neurobiology budget.
• Establish and manage both academic and commercial external alliances.
• Responsible for Scientific Advisory Board meetings.
• Responsibility for CNS-focused manuscripts and conference presentations.
• An integral member of a cross-functional in-licensing due diligence team whose responsibilities include identifying and building a robust pipeline of assets, spanning preclinical to clinical programs.
• Interface with the Translational Medicine team; provide input and guidance on translational research activities for all clinical stage programs.
• Interface with Executive Team and Board of Directors.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• PhD in Biology/Neurology with industry experience and in-depth knowledge of Neurology.
• Proven success of pre-clinical drug development within the CNS indications leading to drugs in the clinic.
• Prior experience as Head of Neurology within the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
• Proven ability to guide strategy and deliver drug products within the CNS space.
• Proven ability to champion and advance innovative concepts and build pipelines.
• Demonstrated strategic, operational, organizational and intellectual leadership.
• Experience in strategic planning, project leadership, laboratory and budget management.
• Effective communicator and ability to influence and develop a high performance team.
• Expertise in small molecule pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, biochemistry, and pharmacology with broad understanding of the physiological principles of health and disease.
• Solid grasp of chemistry, and mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology.
If qualified and interested, please visit https://receptos.hyrell.com/UI/Views/Applicant/VirtualStepCareers.aspx to view the complete job description and the application process.
Receptos, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Celgene, offers a dynamic work environment, an attractive salary (commensurate with experience) and an annual incentive program. As well, Receptos offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes Equity, 401(k), Vacation, Holidays and company-subsidized insurance coverage (Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, Life, AD&D, Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability). Receptos is an Equal Opportunity Employer.