At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Sr. Contract Specialist in Wilmington, DE you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
The Senior Contract Specialist is involved in the full contracting process for AstraZeneca including: template development, strategy interpretation, language negotiation, approval, and execution. This position requires excellent critical information seeking and analytical thinking in the pursuit of securing contracts that meet AstraZeneca's overall targets as well as those of external customers. Incumbents are responsible for any or all of the research, analysis, creation, and maintenance of contracts as well as the necessary reporting to the appropriate internal contacts (Contract Directors, Legal, Brand Teams, Field Sales, and Finance, etc.). Possess and applies in-depth knowledge of the contracting process and the downstream operational impacts the business through the review and analysis from a business and legal perspective, of new Managed Markets initiatives for AstraZeneca products.
Additionally, the Sr. Contract Specialist is responsible for coordinating with little supervision through interaction with, Account Directors, Contract Strategy, Legal and others, following all relevant SOPs and contract approval processes, to ensure contracts and all related documents are prepared and executed accurately and in a timely manner. This responsibility includes the interpretation of contract strategies with regard to specific customer requirements and the application of analytical/strategic thinking to execute a contract within pre-determined parameters. Coordinating contract development through interaction with Legal, Contract Operations Management, Contract Strategy and others as necessary, to ensure contracts are prepared accurately and in a timely manner. Contributing to the negotiation, analysis and administration of contracts with wide range of customers including, PBMs, Health Plans, GPOs, LTC, Federal Government, and City/County/State entities. This would include communication, as applicable, with these external customers to determine contract requirements and position AstraZeneca to respond with high quality and timely contractual information. Developing, reviewing and analyzing contract terms and conditions and/or product schedules across the product portfolio utilizing in-depth contracting process knowledge.
The Sr. Contract Specialist will collaborate with Claims Specialists on contract set up/maintenance to help ensure the accuracy of all assigned contracts, verifying that the contract in the applicable claims administration system replicates the requirements of the executed contract. Develop a very strong relationship with legal to ensure consistency and fluidity to the contract review process. Participate on cross-functional teams lending support and providing leadership, and input from a Contract Operations perspective as well as special projects as assigned by management. Proactively work closely with internal and external customers to facilitate the exchange of key information, understand and address needs, and clarify contract requirements. Meet all compliance-related requirements such as completion of mandatory training, adherence to audit controls and SOX requirements and adherence to all AZ policies, procedures, and SOPs. Possess in-depth knowledge of contracting business, downstream results through contract systems and related data. Assist in the coordination and development of new contracting strategies.
- Bachelor's Degree and 4 years of relevant business experience.
- Excellent attention to detail to ensure successful contract execution that represents a portion of several billion dollars in annual customer discounts.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to multitask in order to meet deadlines and provide exceptional internal and external customer support.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft office applications, specifically Word and Excel, with the ability to adapt and learn query tools and new computer applications.
- Ability to manage daily workload as well as special assignments and projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated high level of professionalism with the ability to interface with all levels and departments of the organization
- Bachelor's Degree in a business related field (Finance, Law, Marketing, and/or Health Care).
- Paralegal Certification from an ABA accredited institution.
- 2-3 years previous experience working in Managed Markets or the healthcare industry.
- In-depth knowledge of Pharmaceutical contracting processes
- Proven ability to build/maintain credible and strong relationships with internal/external customers and peers.
- Incumbent should possess a strong understanding of AstraZeneca's product line and competitors, and the various contracting strategies deployed across assigned markets
Key Leadership Capabilities:
- Do the Right Thing by thinking strategically and broadly, but also identifies opportunities and develops solutions.
- Play to Win by working collaboratively while respecting and integrating diverse views into decisions/proposals; Works as an individual contributor to accomplish team goals and to support goals of others.
- Put Patients First while driving performance by anticipating and/or removing obstacles for others in order to deliver results and succeed
- Be Entrepreneurial by making effective decisions or uses appropriate judgment, as necessary, when confronted without all the necessary information in a fast pace environment. Engages with internal and external customers through communication vehicles to better understand underlying issues/needs and proactively/consistently develops solutions, products or services.
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.