At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Sr. Business Insight Director (Immuno-Oncology) in
Gaitherburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
AstraZeneca’s vision in Oncology is to help patients by redefining the cancer-treatment paradigm, with the aim of bringing six new cancer medicines to patients between 2013 and 2020. A broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally on four disease areas - breast, ovarian, lung and hematological cancers. As well as other tumor types, these are being targeted through four key platforms - immunotherapy, the genetic drivers of cancer and resistance, DNA damage repair, and antibody drug conjugates, underpinned by personalized healthcare and biomarker technologies.
The AstraZeneca Insight and Analytics area is an independent team that provides best practice analytics and consulting to all of the organization’s brand teams. We develop people, processes, and information to move AZ ahead in new treatment options.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will be responsible for generating actionable insights that materially impact the business. This broad role spans analytics, forecasting, sales and primary market research with considerable functional depth required, and will support the Immuno-Oncology franchise in the US. Importantly, this role is a key liaison with the Brand, Sales, Managed Care teams which requires a strong leadership ethic in terms of strategic thinking, communication excellence and driving results. This role includes managerial responsibility with 6 direct reports spanning both insight & analytic professionals. This role will also require business partnerships with multiple stakeholders beyond the Immuno-Oncology team Including Commercial Operations, Finance, and Global. Keys to success in this position are superlative communication, consultative and influencing skills predicated on a strong foundation of primary market research skills and secondary data analysis proficiency, ability to work in a very dynamic and fluid environment as well as a strong clinical acumen. This job will require occasional travel.
Passion for Customers: Understands one's customers and uses that insight to provide value. (Essential)
Thinks Strategically: Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities, combining forethought with action.
This is based on an understanding of the external environment and its impact on AZ and the brand(s). (Essential)
Develops People and Organization: Demonstrates a genuine commitment to the time and effort needed to develop oneself and others. (Essential)
Drives Performance: Holds self and others accountable for the achievement of performance expectations. Creates an environment that enables others to perform at their best. (Essential)
Acts Decisively: Makes and acts on decisions quickly and effectively and fosters the same in others. This is based on an underlying courage to enable risk-taking for the business. (Desirable)
Works Collaboratively: Actively creates and promotes cross-boundary collaboration with the aim of achieving better business results. Boundaries can exist between individuals, geographies, cultures, teams, functions, organizations, etc. (Desirable)
Engage as an internal consultant adding value through interpretation of primary market research and secondary data analyses
Partner with Brand, Sales and Managed Markets Team to develop brand strategies leveraging a range of analytics and insight from the marketplace to unlock the full commercial value of the Immuno-Oncology portfolio
Guide the analytics and insight involved in the development of marketing materials and provide guidance on the go-to market tactical plan
Guide and shape the development of KPI's/brand health monitoring in order to clearly and quickly diagnose brand performance and impact tactical plans to drive greater business results post launch
Develop people from both a functional skills and leadership perspective with goal of increasing the talent level (across the span of acquired, developed and retained)
Design the insight plan in conjunction with the Head of Insight in order to ensure resources (dollars and people) are best leveraged to meet the true business needs
Assemble facts and insight to tell a cohesive story that clearly communicates the health of the brand/business
Lead KPI development and performance tracking for the brand, including brand equity and quantitative tracking
Accountable for the development of short and long-term forecasts based on robust assumptions
Proactively communicate with multi-functional teams to anticipate future needs and provide teams with strategic recommendations and insights; and identify information and data needs
Leverage deep understanding of Pharma/Bio industry marketing and how market research is used to guide product commercialization and lifecycle management
Manage and design qualitative and quantitative market research and analytics that deliver insights to enable evidence-driven marketing decisions
Utilize secondary research methods and industry resources (i.e. syndicated reports, web-sites, etc.) to provide competitive intelligence, ad hoc information etc. Must know which resources to turn to and
Understand the caveats associated with them, and have a thorough understanding and ability to provide competitive intelligence to cross-functional stakeholders.
Oversee primary research, forecasting, competitive intelligence and analytics, managing projects when necessary and ensuring best practice approaches are always utilized
Work with the Pricing and Market Access team to ensure that payer insights are integrated into commercial and clinical strategy and positioning
- BA/BS degree; preferably advanced degree, i.e. MA/ MBA in a relevant field like business, statistics, marketing
- 10+ years of experience in analytics and insight
- 5+ years of pharmaceutical or biotechnology experience; Oncology experience preferred
- 5+ years of experience conducting range of analytics involving standard data in Pharmaceutical industry (e.g., IMS LRx, IMS Xponent, epidemiological data, specialty pharmacy, claims, etc.)
- Experience applying various primary research techniques and secondary to inform business decisions
- Pharmaceutical or consumer Insight experience highly desirable
- Managed a group of at least 1+ staff
- Demonstrated ability to influence laterally and vertically
- Demonstrated communication and teamwork skills, ability to gain consensus and act within a matrix team environment
- Strong business and marketing acumen and excellent communication and interpersonal skills; consultative background preferred
- Demonstrated ability to influence without authority, motivate teams, and maintain high levels of respect for and from peers
- Demonstrated ability to pull together insights from a variety of sources and develop strategic guidance for brand teams that result in a business decision or action
- Demonstrated success in applying various primary research techniques to inform strategy in the pharmaceutical industry
- Proficiency in secondary data analysis with intimate knowledge of a variety of industry secondary data sources (eg. IMS, WK, IPSOS)
- Demonstrated ability to cope well with change, risk, and uncertainty (Ambiguity) and act decidedly with incomplete or imperfect information
- Ability to work in a collaborative and influencing fashion that drives to business action
- Ability to manage, prioritize and lead numerous projects simultaneously
- Ability to work within AstraZeneca's established policies/procedures and core values
- Ability to travel within the USA and abroad
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.