As a Senior Somatic Scientist, you will have a major role in the development and testing of QIAGEN’s clinical decision support products for somatic and hereditary cancer applications. In this role, you will be instrumental in precision medicine defining somatic cancer content curation and content QA processes. You will also participate in internal scientific studies to support sales and marketing, attend industry events, with potential opportunity to act as a clinical laboratory liaison to help communicate customers’ requirements back to the QIAGEN team. The position is based in Redwood City, CA.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Familiarity with drugs used to treat cancers and their genetic dependencies that confer drug sensitivity or drug resistance.
- Familiarity with clinical trial design and enrollment.
- Familiarity with oncogene, tumor suppressor and cancer biology.
- Excellent scientific technical writing skills.
- 2+ years experience assessing the clinical relevance of somatic alterations.
- Participation in tumor boards to discuss molecular markers with oncologists.
- Exposure to quality control and quality assurance testing in a clinical molecular genetics or pathology laboratory.
- Experience in standard operating procedure development and training.
- Excellent critical and analytical thinking with strong attention to detail.
- Published research in oncology including tumor sequencing or molecular assay data.
- PhD and/or MD in the biological sciences, in a field relating directly to cancer genetics.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Willingness and enthusiasm to learn and practice new technologies and skills.