If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Senior Scientist/Senior Manager in Frederick, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
AstraZeneca Global Biologics Operations has a new opportunity for a Sr. Scientist/Sr. Manager in the Manufacturing Science and Technology (MS&T) Department in Frederick, MD. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing organizational support and leadership for MS&T in the areas of Lean Methodology, Project Management and Technology Transfer. MS&T is responsible for the support of multi-product commercial scale manufacturing operations at the Frederick site, driving internal and external process Technology Transfer activities, as well as leading/influencing continuous process improvement initiatives within AstraZeneca Global Biologics Operations.
The essential job functions will be included in but not limited to:
- Support and maintain the Technology Transfer business process for all new product introductions at the site.
- Provide support and coordination of cross-functional activities required to introduce new molecule programs into the manufacturing facilities at the Frederick site.
- Role requires significant cross-function and cross-site collaboration and coordination of activities to ensure robust and efficient delivery of the Technology Transfers.
- Support integration of Lean Methodology into daily activities within MS&T by partnering with the MS&T leadership team.
- Responsible for meeting project goals within time and budget constraints by balancing day-to-day technical support for manufacturing and longer term projects, investigations, and project team responsibilities.
- Acts as a strategic thinker within and outside of specialty for business growth.
- Provide project management support of activities within the MS&T organization and serve as a subject matter expert to help staff develop the necessary rudimentary project management skills.
- Create Technology Transfer enabling tools such as templated presentations, checklists and job-aids.
- Participate in and support technical projects at the site in areas of subject matter expertise.
Education and Experience
Degree in Bio/chemical engineering, biochemistry or biological sciences preferred.
PhD: > 11 years related experience
MS: > 15 years related experience
BS: > 17 years related experience
The selected individual is expected to be able to:
- Establish frequent inter and intradepartmental collaborations.
- Apply extensive expertise as a scientific specialist.
- Have an in-depth upstream cell culture process development and manufacturing knowledge and hands on experience with upstream manufacturing unit operations used to produce protein therapeutics.
- Have a strong fundamental understanding and hands on experience with manufacturing unit operations used to produce protein therapeutics.
- Possess general knowledge process development and working knowledge of drug product development.
- Experience with commercial operations is a plus.
- Familiarity with statistical data analysis and manufacturing data trending.
- Demonstrate the leadership to drive scientific innovations and new technology implementation.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.