Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics to alter the tumor microenvironment to enhance tumor cell killing. Our company has a growing portfolio of product candidates and currently has three protein therapeutics in clinical development.
- Cabiralizumab (FPA008) – a monoclonal antibody targeting CSF1R in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial in pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS) and in a Phase 1a/1b clinical trial in multiple cancers in combination with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company’s PD-1 immune checkpoint inhibitor, Opdivo® (nivolumab)
- FPA144 – a monoclonal antibody targeting FGFR2b in a Phase 1 clinical trial in FGFR2b over-expressing gastric cancer
- FP-1039 – an FGF ligand trap in a Phase 1b clinical trial in mesothelioma
Five Prime has a differentiated target discovery platform and library that we use to rapidly interrogate the entire extracellular proteome in medically relevant in vitro and in vivo models to discover novel targets and drug leads. Our technology has been validated by our growing pipeline and through multiple collaborations with pharmaceutical companies, including Bristol-Myers Squibb, UCB Pharma, S.A. and GlaxoSmithKline across a range of therapeutic areas. FivePrime is committed to innovation and outstanding science, values that are reflected in our people and our products. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
We are seeking a talented and motivated scientist to lead a team within Protein Chemistry as part of the Biotherapeutics department to support Research discovery and pre-clinical therapeutic programs in a dynamic, team-oriented and collaborative environment. The individual will lead from the bench to guide a group responsible for mid-scale protein expression, purification, and biophysical and functional characterizations of target proteins, antibodies, and other protein formats. This position reports to Vice President, Biotherapeutics.
- Operate and supervise a midscale protein production and analytics group to support Research target discovery and therapeutic teams for antibody discovery, fusion proteins, and soluble antigens
- Streamline workflows for expression, purification, biochemical and biophysical characterization of reagents and therapeutic candidates to accommodate Research priorities and rigorous timelines
- Provide technical expertise and personal leadership to train/mentor colleagues in specific lab techniques or processes including protein expression (mammalian and bacterial), chromatographic technologies, and protein biochemical/biophysical characterizations
- Collaborate and contribute to the effective functioning of interdisciplinary teams
- Drive innovation of process and technology related to protein chemistry
- Provide on-going coaching and mentoring to junior scientists to build high-performing team
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, protein biochemistry, or related field, with 8+ years of experience in protein purification or related biochemistry areas, and with 5+ years’ experience leading employees, projects and teams
- Demonstrated proficiency with various protein separation, biochemical and biophysical characterization techniques and their applications, with ability to identify and troubleshoot technical issues encountered
- Experience with recombinant protein expression at multiple scales using mammalian culture processes required, with microbial experience a plus
- Experience producing antibodies, fusion proteins, and membrane proteins is desired; experience with bispecific antibodies and production-challenged membrane proteins is a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently, to communicate clearly and effectively and build open and collaborative relationships is essential
- Evidence of effective management and/or mentorship of scientists
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills