Portola Pharmaceuticals Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel therapeutics in the areas of thrombosis, other hematologic disorders and inflammation for patients who currently have limited or no approved treatment options. Portola’s goal is to build an enduring biopharmaceutical company with a foundation of products and product candidates that significantly advance patient care in the areas of thrombosis, other hematologic disorders and inflammation. Portola is headquartered in South San Francisco, California.
The Senior Scientist, Upstream Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MSAT), will be a primary technical liaison for manufacturing of Portola's lead recombinant protein biologic produced in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells at Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMOs). This person plays a lead role in the Continued Process Verification program. In addition, this person will lead studies on process improvements, technology transfers, scale up and trouble-shooting of process-related issues, and will drive root cause analysis of manufacturing deviations. This person will ensure project-related timelines are met working with Portola's CMOs. Internally, this person will work closely with R&D in evaluating Andexanet alfa process robustness and productivity.
• Leads upstream process development, technology transfer and scale-up of process improvements as needed at the CMOs
• Reviews and approves MBRs
• Interfaces with Quality and leads studies to support root cause analysis, impact assessments and closure of manufacturing process deviations
• Troubleshoots process-related issues (due to deviations, out-of-trend performance, etc.) and facilitates corrective actions working with CMOs
• Assures that all process characterization, technology transfer and scale-up studies are executed by CMOs in accordance with documented work orders and approved protocols
• Reviews and approves scientific protocols and reports from the CMOs for studies ensuring content is appropriate for Portola's Regulatory filings
• Performs Manufacturing data trending real-time
• Supports late stage development activities including PPQ planning, execution and PAl preparations, and plays a lead role in Continued Process Verification program
• Supports Person-In-Plant (PIP) providing Portola technical oversight of CMO manufacturing activities and provides on-site oversight at CMO's during critical activities
• Participates in preparation, review and approval of CMC sections of regulatory filings and acts as process design SME during regulatory inspections.
• As a member of the Manufacturing sub teams, assists in development and execution of project plans and schedules that represent the appropriate level of detail and have accurate resource planning estimates to support process development and team objectives.
• Keeps management informed of any significant risks to CMC timelines and/or budgets
• BSc, MSc or PhD in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Chemistry or Biology with a minimum of 10 years for BSc or MSc or 6 years for a PhD of relevant experience in the bio/pharmaceutical industry in Process Development, MSAT or Manufacturing environment
• SME in Upstream Process Development, Scale-up and Process Characterization of recombinant biologics; cell line development and downstream experience a plus
• Good understanding of FDA/EMEA/ICH/cGMP guidance documents
• Strong working knowledge of current Regulatory guidance on late stage and continued process verification requirements is a plus
• Moderate project management skills
• Prior experience working with and managing CMO activities
• Prior experience writing CMC sections of regulatory submissions is a plus
• Able to thrive in a small group setting with limited administrative support
• Up to 25% travel required