At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Senior Scientist to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
Successful candidates for the Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist position will be highly motivated individuals who will work with senior leadership to develop and implement genome engineering technologies in a cross-disciplinary R&D team in collaboration with industrial and academic partners. The candidate will have broad research and management responsibilities, and will have the ability to work independently to meet goals within projects. The candidate will also participate in presentation of data to internal and external audiences, contribute to patent applications, presentations and publications and participate in collaborative research meetings.
• Strong scientific leadership and R&D experience in molecular and cellular biology and genome engineering.
• Independent leadership and hands-on contributions to;
o Bench research in a team environment
o Supervision and mentoring of technical staff with diverse technical background and experience levels
o Management of multiple complex research projects concurrently
o Successful and timely completion of project milestones and timelines
• Excellent creativity, technical decision-making and trouble shooting skills.
• Analysis/presentation of data and articulation of conclusions in written/oral reports.
• Performance of comprehensive literature reviews, application to research programs and summarization of results as required.
• Understanding of intellectual property and business development strategies and processes.
• Follow all company policies and safety practices.
• Ph.D. and postdoctoral training molecular biology, cell biology or related discipline.
• At least 5-10 years of industrial (biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical) experience leading research teams and overseeing complex projects.
• Direct, hands-on experience with, and extensive knowledge of;
o Application of state-of-the-art molecular biological technologies (DNA/RNA/protein) including genome engineering tools and relevant analyses
o Mammalian cell culture, including isolation and culture of primary cell types
o Transient, stable and viral gene transfer in mammalian cells
o Use of flow cytometric analysis and sorting
o High throughput sequencing and bioinformatics analysis
• Successful management of technical staff and multifunctional project teams, and oversight of multiple collaborative projects with internal and external partners.
• Direct experience with cell and gene therapy, and/or antibody therapeutics, experience with preclinical studies and/or animal models desirable.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and apply scientific literature, research data and technical input, combined with use of novel approaches, to meet program goals.