Unity Biotechnology is a nascent integrated biopharmaceutical company discovering and developing medicines to treat chronic diseases associated with aging. We are located in the San Francisco Bay Area and are seeking to hire a Scientist or Senior Scientist in tissue evaluation and in vitro modeling. This position will afford the successful individual an opportunity to create clinical candidates for an emerging and exciting biology and to translate that into a pipeline of differentiated medicines. The successful candidate should be a highly innovative and creative scientist who has expertise evaluating diseased tissue explants and developing in vitro models of diseases to test novel molecules designed to selectively eliminate senescent cells.
The successful candidate will be both a strong lab-based individual contributor and a team player who synergizes with other scientists. The Scientist in this role will develop in vitro models to characterize candidate molecules in diseased human tissues. The duties of the job include experimental design and execution, analysis and interpretation of data, and presentation (verbal/written) of findings to the Discovery team. Depending on experience, the candidate will lead a small group. The candidate will have an important role in the generation of key datasets that are critical for the declaration of development candidates.
• Ph.D. degree with 2-4 years of scientific experience in the biopharmaceutical industry
• Degree in Cellular Biology, Pharmacology or a related field is essential
• Evidence of independent scientific ability (e.g., post-doctoral training) and a track record of scientific accomplishments through publications, patents, and invited presentations
• Direct experience across a range of different therapeutic areas and target tissues (e.g., liver, eye, lungs, and/or kidneys) is preferable
• A background in aging, immunology, oncology, or assessment of cellular senescence in tissue is an asset
• Experience working with human tissues (dissection/cell dissociation, explant cultures) and various primary cell types is essential; experience with quantitative measures in tissue explants (e.g., potency, target engagement) is desirable
• Experience with flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry and multiplexed antibody-based detection methods is an advantage
• Hands-on proficiency with laboratory automation and microplate-based assay formats is highly desirable
• Ability to manage complexity in a highly matrixed work environment
• Experience and strong capabilities in managing, developing, and mentoring scientists and research associates
• Creativity and the ability to lead and/or work within an interdisciplinary team to in order to achieve technical and corporate milestones
• Exceptional communication, critical thinking, and problem solving skills