Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
We seek a talented, collaborative inter-disciplinary scientist to catalyze computational analysis of high-dimensional tissue, cell and molecular profiling data to advance Celgene's patient-focused Molecular Medicine efforts. This individual will play a key scientific role leveraging innovative computational analysis strategies and a wide range of data sources to empower data-driven decisions and improve therapeutic outcomes in complex diseases of unmet medical need.
This position would suit an individual with exceptional data analysis skills, cancer biology background and excellent communication and collaboration skills.
Key scientific aspects of the role concern the use of deep data mining and predictive computational methods to identify genomic biomarkers that relate clinically-relevant disease subgroups to therapeutic response. Data sources will include large collections of proprietary and public genomic and cytogenetic profiles, integrated with baseline clinical and patient information.
Working in collaboration with computational, biological and clinical scientists across the Celgene Research and Early Development organization, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Pursue and supervise leading computational genomics and patient stratification research towards key Celgene scientific objectives, including coordination and mentorship of junior staff as required.
- Apply contemporary methods for genomic data processing, analysis and mining.
- Develop and apply state-of-the-art computational analysis and interpretation approaches to leverage internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven therapeutic program decision-making.
- Collaborate with research colleagues to interrogate clinical phenotypes and develop biomarkers that enable molecular segmentation of key disease subpopulations.
- Guide genomic profiling plans and procurement of high quality genomic data from valuable internal collections of patient biosamples.
- Present and report methods, results and conclusions to a publishable standard, both internally and outside the company where required.
- Contribute to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, genetics, computational biology, statistics, or related discipline.
- 6+ years post-graduate experience of inter-disciplinary computational and drug discovery research in university, hospital or biotechnology environments.
- Expertise in human genetic and genomic data analysis, interpretation and applied computational research on large multivariate datasets.
- Expertise in the predictive analysis of large datasets, contemporary methods for the processing, analysis and integration of next-generation sequencing data, coupled to extensive domain knowledge in cancer biology and genome science, are prerequisite.
- Experience with integrative analysis and interpretation of diverse datasets, e.g. genomic, transcriptional, functional assay and phenotypic data.
- Deep knowledge of human genomic sequencing methodologies, contemporary processing and analysis pipelines and downstream mining and interpretation approaches.
- Demonstrated experience with biostatistics and analysis of datasets from clinical studies.
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation, using e.g. R/Bioconductor, Matlab, Python, and a range of contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and database structures in Linux & cloud computing environments.
- Proven ability to collaborate and problem-solve productively as a member of an inter-disciplinary team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.