A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact. All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Recent advances in functional genomics technologies have led to unprecedented opportunities to deepen our understanding of disease biology, screen for new drug targets, and validate candidate targets arising from genetic association and other studies. Pfizer has established the new Functional Genomics Center-Cambridge, with labs in both Cambridge and Pearl River,¬¬ to provide target identification and validation to the disease Research Units based in Cambridge. The Center aims to establish and apply experimental tools for examining gene function, in order to bring the best targets into the portfolio, identify new targets, and deepen our knowledge of targets under development. We are seeking experienced molecular biologists, with expertise in gene modulation technologies, to contribute to the success of the Functional Genomics laboratory in Pearl River, NY, (1 position) and Cambridge, MA (1 position). These are exciting opportunities to apply cutting-edge methods and contribute to the target portfolios of the disease Research Units of one of the world's leading developers of novel therapeutics.
* Implement a versatile repertoire of functional genomics and molecular biological tools that can be used to readily test the functional consequences of a wide variety of genetic variants in appropriate cell-based model systems, including CRISPR-based gene editing technologies, RNA interference, overexpression, PCR-based expression analysis, molecular cloning, and lentiviral production
* Apply these technologies and approaches to conduct impactful screens and generate high quality cell models that will provide functional data critical to the evaluation and understanding of new and existing targets
* Apply these technologies to challenging projects requiring innovative approaches
* Work with external contract providers, when appropriate, to expand capabilities in the functional genomics space
* Stay current with gene editing and related technologies in order to evaluate new approaches and incorporate improvements into the offerings of the Functional Genomics Center
* Work closely with other Pearl River or Cambridge Functional Genomics lab personnel, and maintain close and productive interactions with the Functional Genomics lab personnel based in Pearl River or Cambridge
* Serve as a technical expert within the Functional Genomics Center for functional screening, gene editing and other gene modulation technologies
* Bachelor's degree and preferentially master's degree in molecular biology or related field, with significant experience and expertise in functional genomics screens, CRISPR-based gene editing, and RNA interference technologies
* At least 8 years laboratory experience in an industrial or academic setting
* Track record of significant successful contribution to research projects, leading to advancement of projects in portfolio and/or peer-reviewed publications, preferably utilizing gene editing or screening methodologies
* Expertise with an array of molecular and cell biology methods, including cloning and vector construction, PCR-based expression analysis, and cell-based assays, and expertise in cell culture and lentiviral production
* Ability to work independently and exercise good scientific judgment to advance technically challenging projects in which existing protocols are insufficient
* Familiarity with bioinformatics and computational approaches to target discovery
* Ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other scientists, within the group, in the disease Research Units, and in other groups; excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills essential
* Demonstrated ability to evaluate and implement new experimental approaches
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.