Nurix’s Library Discovery team is seeking a highly skilled and motivated Scientist with expertise in assay development and small molecule discovery. Nurix is devoted to unlocking the therapeutic potential of the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS) in the areas of oncology and immuno-oncology. The successful candidate will provide scientific leadership utilizing DNA encoded libraries to identify novel, physiologically relevant chemical matter expanding upon Nurix’s biophysical and structural expertise in the UPS space. This person will play a key role in discovery by participating in target selection and by evolving the standard paradigm of encoded library selection toward more extensive and mechanism-directed selection campaigns that exploit existing biophysical and mutation information. This individual will provide key expertise in protein and physical biochemistry to a small team that will work closely with several experienced groups of interdisciplinary scientists, all of whom have regular opportunities to present findings to the project team and senior management. The candidate should have a strong desire to learn new techniques and the ability to incorporate new methodologies into their work. The ideal candidate will be self-driven, resourceful, very organized and focused, and enjoy working in a dynamic team environment.
• Ph.D. in Biochemistry or a related field with 8+ years post-degree industry experience focused on small molecule drug discovery.
• Experience designing and executing a variety of biochemical assay platforms for screening small molecule library collections is a prerequisite. In addition, experience using biophysical techniques to analyze protein-protein interactions as well as protein-small molecule interactions is required (for example, Surface Plasmon Resonance, Isothermal Titration Calorimetry or Microscale Thermophoresis).
• Expertise in DNA encoded library affinity selection or related methodologies (phage display, SELEX, ASMS, etc…) is highly desired.
• Experience with protein expression, purification and characterization using bacterial, baculovirus or mammalian expression systems. Ideally including experience with multiprotein complexes.
• A strong track record (publications, industry experience) with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
• The successful candidate will be aligned to Nurix’s culture and values. He/she will be team oriented and highly collaborative with a hands-on approach.
• The candidate should be enthusiastic, driven, and have the ability to work independently in a dynamic start-up environment.