Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Senior Research Scientist, Pharmacology
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated is offering an exciting opportunity for an exceptional Biologist to join our Pharmacology team in San Diego. We are seeking a highly motivated, independent senior scientist to lead the development and implementation of in vitro assays to drive drug discovery.
- Independently designs, directs and executes key in vitro experiments to support ion channel discovery projects, increase the understanding of emerging targets and elucidate mechanism of action at the molecular and cellular level.
- Applies a broad working knowledge of the molecular and cellular pharmacology of ion channels to provide innovative solutions to complex research problems.
- Provides extensive technical expertise across a wide range of in vitro assays, including experience in the biological assessment of multiple target classes in primary cell-based systems.
- Provides strong scientific and technical leadership and supervision.
- Must work well in a multi-disciplinary team environment, have good organizational skills and a solid ability to multi-task and make critical decisions.
- Ph.D (or equivalent degree) in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pharmacology or a related field
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in drug discovery assay development in a pharmaceutical, biotech or academic organization with demonstrated group and project leadership responsibilities
- Demonstrated strong scientific and technical leadership in the design, execution, analysis and interpretation of a broad range of assays to drive compound progression, elucidate mechanism of action at the molecular and cellular level, and understand disease biology
- Expertise in evaluating the pharmacology of ion channel targets
- Proven ability to critically analyze and interpret data, and effectively document and communicate results to diverse audiences
- Prior experience in biology/drug discovery research project leadership
- Successful track record in managing a small team, including Ph.D. Scientists and Research Associates
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.