Position: Senior Research Associate (Histology)
4D Molecular Therapeutics, located in Emeryville, is a global leader in gene therapy product research & development using scientific innovation to unlock the full potential of gene therapy for patients with genetic diseases. At 4D Molecular Therapeutics, our goal is to design and develop transformative gene therapy products using our proprietary adeno-associated virus variants platform to treat serious unmet medical conditions. We are seeking a talented and motivated Senior Research Associate to lead our efforts related to specimen preparation, immunostainig protocol development, and analysis for in vivo and in vitro studies.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Identify and optimize fixation and sectioning protocols for multiple tissues
• Identify and optimize histochemical staining protocols using standard or novel techniques, including H&E staining and multi-labeled peroxidase and fluorescent immunohistochemistry
• Process diverse large and small animal tissue samples, including fixation, trimming, embedding, cutting, and mounting, and staining
• Troubleshoot problems at all steps in the fixation, sectioning, staining, and mounting processes, and conduct quality control examination of prepared slides
• Identify and optimize immunocytochemical protocols and perform cell culture staining
• Acquire images using confocal and high-throughput microscopy techniques
• Analyze and quantify immunohistochemical staining of cells using manual and automated quantification techniques
• Create 3 dimensional renderings and videos of fluorescently labeled cells in tissue sections
• Prepare presentations and scientific papers for publication and meetings
• Collaborate with internal and external scientists to meet their needs, explaining histological findings and providing data driven suggestions
• Contribute to writing standard operating procedures (SOPs) and follow SOPs
• Work within R&D group to share results and develop new assays
• The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in biology, other life sciences, or other related field, with at least 5 years of experience in a histology setting. Should be a certified Histotechnologist (HTL) or be eligible for certification.
• Hands-on experience in developing IHC and ICC assays is required.
• High degree of proficiency and training in routine histology on multiple tissue types; Familiarity with animal necropsy techniques, tissue fixation, and general immunohistochemistry is required.
• Experience with ISH is preferred.
• The ability to troubleshoot histotechnological challenges will be required.
• Industry working experience is preferred.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop effective working relationships in cross-functional teams in a fast-paced working environment.
• Computer literacy is required. Experience with software for image analysis is highly desirable; working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Photoshop
• Requires good organization skills to manage all the sample archives.
Qualified candidates may submit their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org