Celgeneis a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation tohelp patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is todiscover and develop therapies that will change the course of humanhealth. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spiritof independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70countries - and growing we look for talented people to grow our business,advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Celgene Protein HomeostasisThematic Center is seeking a translational investigator with the capability todefine and implement preclinical and clinical translational strategies fornovel agents entering clinical development. Deep scientific expertise in cancerbiology and direct experience with clinical-stage correlative and translationalsupport for novel agents is required. Thisindividual will play a key scientific role in program strategy supporting doseand schedule, indication selection, patient selection, and PD samples andendpoints to inform and enable development of novel agents in Celgene'sResearch and Early Development organization.
The role will focus on agentstargeting protein stability and function. Significant experience evaluating anddeploying technologies in genome, transcriptome, and proteome characterizationto clinical samples and data, and demonstrated success in deriving novelbiological information and insight into clinical outcomes from such data, isrequired.
The position will require an individual with established scientificleadership ability and excellent communication and collaboration skills.Applications are encouraged from those looking to bridge the capabilities andstrengths of academic and industrial research environments to enable thedevelopment of truly innovative, life-changing therapies. As a member of an integrated discoveryresearch and early development team, this role will also involve collaborationwith discovery biology and chemistry researchers, clinicians, and computationalbiologists.
A keen interest in the emerging biology and therapeutic potential ofregulated protein turnover and stability will be helpful. We are particularly interested to hear fromindividuals with deep knowledge and skills in genetic and protein interactionnetworks and pathway dependencies. In particular, a knowledge of pathways relevantto oncology would be helpful.
This position will report to the Translational Leader of the ProteinHomeostasis Thematic center of Excellence, and will be located in San Diego,California. Exceptional candidates whoare geographically constrained to the San Francisco region may also beconsidered.
• Translationalscience leader in the context of early-phase clinical trials
• Manage theselection, validation, and deployment of novel clinical-stage assay methods andanalysis of data to accelerate development and provide insight into diseasebiology and drug mechanisms
• Design and interpret experiments to definedose-schedules, patient selection markers and other biomarker readouts,combination strategies and pathways of drug resistance for oncology programs
• Design and overseeexecution of experiments to test hypotheses from clinical observations inpreclinical model systems
• Author andoversee writing of study reports, patents, and peer-reviewed publications.Presentation of methods, results and conclusions to publishable standards
• Providescientific leadership on cross-site and cross-functional teams
• Present workat governance committees, internal forums, and external meetings
• Lead theplanning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic andcommercial research groups worldwide.
• Supervisecontract research organizations to achieve high standards of productivity andquality.
• Manageprojects to successful outcomes through scientific leadership, teamwork andinfluence, and potentially direct reporting relationships
• Mentorresearch staff through instruction, coaching, and guidance
• Work acrossgeographies and scientific domains
Ph.D.in a relevant field (Biology, Computational Biology, Biochemistry) with atleast 15 years of relevant work experience, required. Pharmaceutical industry experience is preferred.
• Expert in clinicaltranslational studies including sampling, analysis, and interpretation ofmultiple data types including NGS/ omic data
• Experiencedtranslational leader able to define program priorities and strategies
• Comprehensiveknowledge of cancer biology and drug development
• Proven abilityto derive novel insights from complex data
• Ability to interpret and summarize scientificdata in an accurate, critical and concise manner
• Strongunderstanding, derived from direct participation, of the design and execution ofclinical trials incorporating translational science and correlative endpoints
• Expertise inbiomarker discovery and development, with advanced skills in assay design,development, validation, and troubleshooting
• Experienced inthe integration of preclinical research through to clinical drug development
• Highlyeffective teamwork and interpersonal skills
• Exceptionalwritten and verbal communications skills.
• Broadunderstanding of the R&D process.
• Functionalgroup advisor/go-to person.
• Demonstratebroad understanding of Drug Discovery & Development.
• Able to assessrisk & develop contingency plans.
• Recognized asexpert in the field.
• Serves assubject matter expert and functional group advisor on science, technology,methods, etc.
• Familiar withbasic business principles and focus of corporation.
• Uses thisknowledge to drive projects.
•Has accountability for scientific strategies and timelines.
•Prioritizes risks and recommend or endorse contingency plans.
•Developing others beyond functional expertise.
•Viewed as subject matter expert across multiple scientific subjects.
•Responsible for internal and external resources.
•Coordinate cross functional activities.
•Role model for scientific culture.
•Develop cross functional strategy.
•Communicate and make recommendations to line management.
•Develops cross functional strategies.
•Held accountable for cross functional strategies.
•May develop cross functional policies.
•Make recommendations to Senior Management and larger scientific community.
•Guide/mentor/develop others in broad area of influence.
Creativityand Problem Solving:
•Develop scientific directions for projects (strategy).
•Acts as a resource to peers in developing new, innovative approaches toexperimental design.
•Independently (or using collaborations) develop scientific direction forassignments.
•Recognize cross-functional issues.
•Proposes innovative ideas to enhance Drug Discovery processes.
•Communicates within the larger organization and external community.
•Provides expert guidance to multi-disciplinary teams and senior management.
•Direct impact on the performance of multiple departments.
•Impact is achieved through leading workgroups and contributing tocross-functional teams.
•Leader who influences culture & values.
•Able to conceptualize broad impact of research programs and personal activitiesin terms of whole
•Provides directions• Structuring and staffing
• Thinks strategically
Celgene iscommitted to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment forall employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex,sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin,disability or veteran status.
Celgene complieswith all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscriminationin employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements ofthe Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization towork for Celgene in the U.S.