At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Senior Global Medical Affairs Leader in Gaithersburg, Maryland you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
AstraZeneca holds a unique position in respiratory disease, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF), with a range of differentiated potential medicines in development by leveraging novel combinations, biologics and devices. The pipeline also has a number of promising assets in inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are currently seeking a Senior Medical Affairs Leader, Respiratory Inhalation to join our global medical affairs team. The Senior Medical Affairs Leader is accountable for the strategic direction, and matrix leadership of a Global Medical Affairs Team (GMAT), which is responsible for developing and delivering the integrated Medical Affairs Plan (iMAP). The Senior Medical Affairs Leader usually leads a pharmacological entity (brand) but may lead more than one brand in a given disease or therapy area. As the Senior Medical Affairs Leader, you will direct and support the medical team to assure operational effectiveness and efficiencies through a continuous improvement approach. You will work in a matrix environment with other medical network colleagues including Medical Excellence, Patient Centricity (PaCe), Medical Evidence and Observational Research (MEOR), Regional and Country affiliates and other cross functions to ensure effective design and subsequent implementation of GMAT strategy as defined in the iMAP. In general, the Senior Medical Affairs Leader represents the Medical Affairs function at the cross-functional Global Product and the Global Commercial Brand Teams.
- Masters degree, or higher, in a scientific discipline
- Extensive experience of Medical Affairs function within a pharmaceutical industry within respiratory
- Extensive experience in relationship and stakeholder management (3p’S-Payer, Provider and Patients)
- Effective matrix leadership experience
- Experience working at the medical marketing interface
- Experience in Evidence generation planning and clinical trial design
- Financial Management foundation knowledge
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- A track record of building and maintaining a deep continued connection to medical practice/healthcare delivery
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
- Strong Financial/Budget Management and Project Management skills
- Strong business acumen
- Medical Degree
- Doctorate degree in respiratory area
- Clinical practice experience within respiratory disease
- Extensive knowledge of the latest technical, regulatory, policy and patient–centric developments
- Experience delivering country medical affairs plans
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.