Amgen is seeking an innovative leader for the position of Senior Manager, Research Information Systems to lead its multi-site Research Informatics organization at its main headquarters in Thousand Oaks, CA location. This position will report to the Executive Director Information Systems and will serve as the Information Systems (IS) single point of contact for Amgen's Translational Research and provide leadership for the coordination and delivery of all related information services.
The Research Informatics team supports Translational Sciences organization focusing on PK/PD, Biomarker Discovery, Global Clinical Pharmacology Modeling and Simulation, Systems Biology, and Digital Health. The informatics team plays a critical role in providing innovative IS solutions to unlock data for faster innovation and creating insights from vast amounts of data.
Travel: International and domestic travel up to 10% maybe essential.
Strategy Development and Execution:
- Accountable for translating the collective information needs of the Translational Sciences into clear strategies and action plans.
- Provide leadership for the further development of the information strategy supporting business needs. The strategies will provide a foundation for these organizations to maximize organizational effectiveness, while enabling effective business process and information integration with related functional areas. Influence the development of business area strategy where appropriate.
- Establish external networks, and engage as appropriate to ensure strategies are developed with appropriate consideration of environmental factors, competitive intelligence and/or awareness of new possibilities offered by information technology.
- Provide leadership for the development and maintenance of governance process that enables effective prioritization and decision-making surrounding the allocation of all resources to IS-enabled business solutions. This governance process will play a critical role in the establishment of annual business plans, and achievement of financial targets on an annual basis.
Professional Delivery of IS Services:
- Accountable for overall operations performance of the IS organization in support of Translational Sciences. Provide leadership for IS staff consisting of Scientific business analysts, project managers, and software engineers.
- Routinely interact with leadership in other IS and functional areas to maximize development of and adherence to information architecture, application reuse, and to ensure appropriate infrastructure is in place to support the development of sustainable business solutions.
- Serve as the single point of contact for communicating status of all service delivery efforts with client leadership.
- Facilitate the sourcing/sharing of IS resources within and between other IS organizations when necessary to meet business objectives.
- Accountable for ensuring overall organizational compliance to quality/compliance requirements such as GXP, Privacy and Sarbanes Oxley.
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Information Systems experience
OR Master's degree and 6 years of Information Systems experience
OR Bachelor's degree and 8 years of Information Systems experience
OR Associate's degree and 10 years of Information Systems experience
OR High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Information Systems experience
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Educational background in Chemistry/Biology
- 5+ years of experience in IT/IS leadership role supporting Research within Pharma or Biotech
- Demonstrated track record of delivery of innovative IS solutions with a sense of urgency and maintaining the highest quality
- Develop and manage to financial plan for IS group
- Experience with Artificial Intelligence, Deep learning techniques, and Cloud based analytics solutions
- Ability to develop strategic relationships with business partners & external suppliers
- Experience in change leadership
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and influence peers, senior leadership, and staff both inside IS function and business partners
- Ability to successfully handle ambiguity and create a path forward for the team
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.