If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Senior Manager/Associate Director-Internal Communications in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the AstraZeneca Global Corporate Affairs function, the Internal Communications team at MedImmune is responsible for informing, educating, and engaging our employees via strategic, timely, and creative internal communications globally as well as across our three sites – Gaithersburg, MD; Mountain View, California; and Cambridge, UK.
The Senior Manager/Associate Director position will play an integral role in shaping the strategy and executing best-in-class internal communications within MedImmune, working closely with the Head of Internal Communications and other team members. More specifically, they will design and execute communications that help inform and engage employees on MedImmune’s contributions to AstraZeneca’s late-stage success; and showcase MedImmune’s entrepreneurial culture and biotech spirit.
This person will serve as the site communications lead for the Gaithersburg campus, collaborate with internal clients (e.g. HR, Operations) to support internal communications on key projects, as well as work closely with regional and global AstraZeneca communications colleagues to pull-through company-wide initiatives within Medimmune.
We are looking for a candidate that is a self-starter, is flexible and can act quickly given the fast-paced nature of our business, and embodies a collaborative spirit who is enthusiastic about working in communications and the biotech industry. The candidate needs to be a strategic thinker with the ability to develop project plans and execute communications effectively, sometimes working in ambiguity to solve communications challenges for the business. To succeed in this role, you’ll need the organizational and time management skills to support numerous projects, deliver against tight deadlines, coordinate with multiple functions and/or regions and successfully partner with internal clients and leaders.
- Serve as the Site Communications Lead for the AstraZeneca/MedImmune Gaithersburg campus, which is one of AstraZeneca’s three strategic hubs (40%). As the Site Communicator, you will:
- Design a site communications strategy that encompasses all Gaithersburg-based employees including AstraZeneca and MedImmune, uses the most effective and efficient internal communications channels to educate and engage them on site-related activities and information, and reinforces the importance of being a great place to work.
- Serve as the Internal Communications Lead for HR, IT, Facilities, and Employee Engagement business partners– working closely with those internal clients, both within MedImmune and AstraZeneca – to provide strategic communications counsel in support of site-wide initiatives, programs, and events. In addition, you will be responsible for local pull-thru of global events, initiatives and SET face-to-face events as needed.
- Chair the Gaithersburg Internal Communications Council, a site-wide team of internal communicators within MedImmune and AstraZeneca, to ensure alignment and coordination of relevant communications.
- Manage MedImmune’s Gaithersburg plasma screens including editing content, managing the schedule, and uploading submissions for posting.
- Serve as the Internal Communications Lead for Discovery Meadows, Gaithersburg’s new child care facility for AstraZeneca/MedImmune employees. Working closely with internal clients (e.g. HR; MBO, others) and Bright Horizons, you will be responsible for designing and executing communications that inform and engage employees leading up to the opening (Q2 2017) and beyond (as needed).
- Lead the design and development of internal communications to support MedImmune’s Great Place to Work objective (30%). Working with the Head of Internal Communications, Corporate Affairs team members, internal clients, and AstraZeneca partners you will be responsible for developing and executing communications that showcase MedImmune’s distinctive culture, our employees and their work. Responsibilities include:
- Drafting, editing, and designing communications materials for our foundational internal communications channels (e.g. emails; articles for our global intranet, Nucleus; our global internal social media platform, Chatter; plasma screens, and others).
- Lead the communications planning and execution of MedImmune’s annual Global Excellence Awards, in coordination with HR and other internal partners.
- Partner with Head of External Communications and AZ colleagues to promote volunteer activities (e.g. Power of Us) that are locally-relevant across U.S. internal communications channels
- In addition, support the Head of External Communications on STEM-related community events, and relevant pull through internally.
- Coordinate Communications at MedImmune’s Mountain View site (20%). In this capacity, you will:
- Provide strategic communications counsel to the Site Leader on an ongoing basis.
- Partner with Mountain View-based employees to support local pull-through of global initiatives and activities as well as identify compelling local content to highlight globally.
- Provide communications support for the transition to the new South San Francisco Site. This includes serving as the internal communications lead for MedImmune on the project planning team, aligning and tailoring communications to pull-thru relevant content to Mountain View MedImmune employees, and coordinating with local team to ensure execution of local site activities related to the move.
- Assist Head of Internal Communications with the planning of face-to-face global events including Quarterly Global Town Halls, Monthly Leadership Meetings (MLEs), and annual Global Leaders Meeting (10%). Primary responsibilities include:
- Coordinating logistical set-up, room reservations, and AV requirements. In addition, you will be asked to assist with agenda setting and providing input on culture-related topics/presentations.
- Prioritize tracking and measurement across all internal communications you are responsible in designing or developing, routinely assess and analyze the metrics, and continue to adapt communications strategies and tactics to ensure they remain as effective, creative, and as useful as possible.
- BA/BS degree
- 5-7 years of Communications or Public Relations experience; preferably in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry
- BA/BS degree in Communications; English; Political Science; Marketing
- Significant writing experience
- Excellent creative and visual skills, including slide design
- Understanding of communications measurement and analytics; preferably experience using Google Analytics platform
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments.
- Effective team player who can lead cross-function/region efforts
- Ability to effectively advise senior leaders and internal clients, act as sounding board, and provide feedback when needed.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.