The optimal candidate would be a PhD or MD/PhD with 10+ year experience and a demonstrated track record of successful scientific oversight of late discovery through early development activities, including delineation of MOA of development compounds and identification of biomarkers of target engagement and pharmacodynamic activity. This person would work closely with Scientists, Preclinical safety, Regulatory, and Clinical groups to effectively develop integrated strategic objectives and research plans for early stage candidates. This would encompass programs from target identification through clinical Proof of Concept. The current therapeutic focuses are cardiometabolic and immune oncology, but liver disease and other therapeutic areas would be considered.
This person would need to:
• Exhibit an exceptional degree of scientific ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness.
• Make major contributions to the scientific direction of the company including evaluation of ongoing research and development and initiation of research that may lead to major new directions of identified programs.
• Develop strategies to ensure effective achievement of scientific/business objectives.
• Initiate, direct and execute scientific research and early development activities.
• Developing an operating plan for early development and strategic objectives that support the company's research and development strategies.
• May conduct and collaborate with others on basic research relevant to long-term objectives and concerns.
• Define overall organizational structure and allocation of resources within early development.
• Applies and/or develops highly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts.
• Recognized as a scientific leader within the company.
• Provide leadership to direct others in solving complex problems.
• Has demonstrated management and strategic planning skills.
• Contribute to the scientific and career growth of employees.
• Monitors project and program costs.
• Collaborates on patent applications and manuscripts for publication.
• Develops budgets for capital expenditures, personnel and contracts.
• Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems.
• MD or PhD, MD/PhD
• Minimum five years biotechnology/pharma industry experience required.
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package.