Relypsa, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of polymeric medicines for patients with conditions that are often overlooked and undertreated and can be addressed in the gastrointestinal tract. The Company's first medicine, Veltassa® (patiromer) for oral suspension, was developed based on Relypsa's rich legacy in polymer science. Relypsa was founded in 2007 and, in September 2016, became a Vifor Pharma company. More information is available at www.relypsa.com.
Veltassa® (patiromer) for oral suspension was approved in October 2015 for the treatment of hyperkalemia, a condition defined as elevated blood potassium levels that can cause abnormal heart rhythms and even sudden death. A potassium binder, Veltassa® is the first new medicine for the treatment of hyperkalemia in more than 50 years and is the first commercialized medicine resulting from Relypsa’s polymer technology platform. Relypsa is committed to ensuring that people living with the burden of hyperkalemia have access to Veltassa®.
This position is responsible for the entirety of the Company’s strategic pricing and contract management operations in the United States. The role will handle all pricing activities, on a gross (WAC) and net basis. This position will manage the pricing approval process to include the establishment and refinement of policies, procedures, and ways of working of the company Pricing Committee, and manage the Pricing Committee agenda and operation of the meeting. Position will lead all US pricing activities for Veltassa, and for future Relypsa assets. Position is also responsible for the management and development of all payer and managed markets contracts to include: assisting Managed Markets with analyzing and recommending account contract strategy; negotiating redlines to contract terms and conditions; executing the contract through internal approval and signature; and providing internal and external communications and tracking of approved contracts. Position will functionally own the operations of the government pricing process at Relypsa, and oversee the contracting & government pricing vendor (CGPV) for the implementation of approved payer contracts to include: contract terms review; contract setup; contract performance review and rebate calculation; and rebate payments, including but not limited to commercial payer, Medicare Part D, and Medicaid rebates. Additionally, the position will provide documentation and information to support approval of rebate payments, assist Finance in developing rebate accruals and proper gross to net reporting, develop standard reporting for rebate payment packets, and serve as the liaison to the CGPV to fulfill ad hoc reporting requests for contract performance information.
This position reports to the Vice-President, Market Access and will be based in Redwood City, CA.
1. Lead the strategic thought process around pricing (both gross and net) for the entirety of the Relypsa US organization, and articulate rationale for strategic decisions around price.
2. Direct company activities to develop and approve product WAC price and WAC price change recommendations, including the lifecycle management for Veltassa (market evolution, label changes, etc.)
3. Develop and manage company governance decision making process for all WAC and contract price approvals.
4. Assist in development of Managed Markets net price strategies to support brand and segment initiatives, including contract strategy and market segment strategies.
5. Work closely with Head of Managed Markets and Head of Trade & Distribution to ensure appropriate disclosure of pricing, accurate price communications to stakeholders, and support for other functions as it relates to pricing and contracting.
6. Team with the Head of Marketing, Head of Strategic Insights & Analytics, and Relypsa’s Finance organization to ensure an aligned approach to pricing, pricing changes and the resultant financial impact
7. Manage the drug listing process, and all pricing announcements
Lead and/or manage, as appropriate:
1. Contract Development process for all payer segments.
a. Assist Legal in developing and maintaining standard contract template terms and conditions.
b. Assist Account Managers in negotiating requested changes to standard terms and conditions.
c. Assist Legal with managing internal Relypsa contract approval process to review, approve and sign contracts for formal execution.
d. Develop and execute standard internal and external communications of executed contracts
2. Contract Setup and execution in CGPV systems.
a. Review and approve contract setup in CGPV contract management system to include effective dates, eligible products and plans, products, pricing and rebate calculations
b. Review and approve rebate eligibility for plans and benefit designs as outlined in contract terms and conditions
3. Contract payment process
a. Develop standard reports and information to support CGPV rebate payments
b. Perform preliminary review and approval of rebate payment
c. Assist Finance in final rebate review and approval
4. Develop standard report formats for contract and rebate payment information.
a. Quarterly contract performance reports
b. Quarterly product business reviews
c. Dispute Resolution reports
Government Pricing & Reporting
Oversee and/or manage staff towards:
1. The operations of the designated CGPV to ensure accurate and timely calculation and reporting of mandated federal (including 340B and Federal Supply Schedule / Federal Ceiling Price) and state government price points (Medicaid).
a. Develop and maintain communication and feedback loop to support monthly, quarterly, and annual government price calculations.
b. Develop and execute monthly, quarterly, and annual price calculation reviews to include known system changes, policy and procedure changes, and pricing and contracting changes.
c. Manage required certification of AMP and other mandated government price points by CFO or delegate.
d. Direct Relypsa activities to ensure accurate and timely delivery of required data to CGPV for all government mandated pricing programs.
e. Develop and execute quarterly business reviews and annual review of vendor operations.
f. Manage dispute resolution process for any disputed rebate claims
2. The development of standard report formats for government price reporting.
a. Monthly / quarterly / annual price review reports
b. Government price impact report
c. Best price / lowest contract price report
3. The resolution of CGPV and/or government questions and issues for calculation and reporting of government price points.
a. Manage government information requests or audits of Relypsa government price reporting.
4. The alignment with CGPV to ensure training and education of relevant parties in Relypsa for government price reporting requirements, changes in legislation, and needed policies and procedures.
1. Assist Finance in development of rebate accrual forecast, including detail assessment of the required gross to net reporting, and review of rebate actual payments against forecast.
2. Support special projects as needed
3. Position is expected to have one staff/manager level reporting to it in the future.
• Minimum of four year college degree, preferably with business or finance concentration, or comparable experience. MBA or MSA preferred.
• Understanding of the pharmaceutical business
• Understanding of the overall economics of a pharmaceutical manufacturer, its customers and stakeholder partners
• Clear understanding, with a proven track record working in, all aspects of pharmaceutical/biotech pricing & contracting including laws and regulations, payer segments, purchase based customers, government pricing statutes and obligations, and the impact of other areas on pricing (ex: Trade & Distribution.)
• Demonstrated strategic mindset, with the ability to piece together disparate elements impacting price, customer decisions, competitive landscape, etc. to arrive at a cohesive decision/recommendation.
• Working knowledge of US accounting rules, gross to net reporting, and overall sound finance acumen
• Proven ability to work independently in a diverse and challenging environment, successfully handling multiple priorities and delivery against tight deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to manage through ambiguity and drive to performance
• Additionally this position will require analytic skill to solve problems and resolve issues within and external to Relypsa, and to work closely with data, vendors, customers and contracts to determine the proper resolution.
• Minimum 10 years pharma, biotech experience
• Minimum 5 years’ experience with pricing and contracting in the pharmaceutical/biotech market, including a minimum of three years in strategic pricing function, and demonstrated experience with contracting in commercial, Part D, Medicaid, FSS, and PHS.
• Previous experience managing people both in functional line management, and people and projects in a matrix environment
• Experience working with or in the realm of the calculation and reporting of mandated government prices.
• Prefer experience working in managed markets or other market access functions
As an employee of Relypsa, you will actively contribute to the development of potential new products. We provide opportunities for all employees to collaborate, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Relypsa’s high regard for our employees.
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Relypsa is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.