At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We're focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life. As a Senior Director, National Channel in Field based location, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. North American Commercial is the 'face' of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
National Channel Senior Directors are accountable for orchestrating the overall strategy for the customer in coordination with necessary internal/AZ stakeholders (ie brand teams, medical affairs, sales, MAPS, operations, etc.) that brings value to both AZ and customers. National Channel Senior Directors are responsible for the following account segments/channels:
- Wholesalers and distributors
- Specialty pharmacy
- Retail pharmacy chains (Retail, Grocery, Mass Merchants, Independents)
- PBM owned Specialty and Mail order pharmacies
National Channel Senior Directors are accountable for achieving AZ’s sales and product access objectives within national account channels/segments. National Channel Senior Directors represent the entire portfolio of AZ products.
Senior Director, National Channel is responsible for conducting business in accordance with AZ Code of Conduct as well as other appropriate company policy. When account specific issues and challenges are identified by the National Account Director, engage with appropriate internal resources to assist. Leads the team and influences internal organization and other stakeholders. Manages performance and addresses skill development for direct reports to ensure appropriate portfolio business management. Develop and maintain strong working relationships with C-Suite and influential leaders in senior management at the customer with a goal of understanding unique business needs, model, and strategic challenges. Lead the negotiation, coordinate and manage project implementation with customer to support brand strategies. As needed, present business cases for opportunities/evaluation including a broad view of the enterprise impact. Inform dispensing and distribution TA/brand strategies with insights from channel segments and customers. Ensure that appropriate performance metrics are included in account plans and are being reported across the organization. Influence high-level decision-makers within the channel sector by developing and maintaining critical business relationships to ensure sales success as well as compliance with distributor agreements. Present, negotiate and execute performance contracts with various trade channels supporting the supply and access for AZ brands. Present clinical information within company policy and product prescribing information supporting the utilization of AZ brands.
Additionally, the Senior Director, National Channel will enforce contract terms and conditions with national account customers and analyze contract performance while providing support. Accountability for business development opportunities with accounts that have national scope of business or that covers multiple regions and geographies.
Provide strategic input to key internal stakeholders on national account segments. Monitor and maintain a high level of awareness of pricing regulations and third party reimbursement policies. Review and analyze alternative classes of trade for AZ products to maximize opportunity in agreed upon national account segments/channels. Partner with internal cross functional partners (MAPS, Sales, Operations, Brands) to appropriately achieve business objectives and resolve national account related issues. Represent AZ at key conferences and vendor functions, which impact relationships with key customers. (HDA, NACDS, Asembia, etc.). Knowledge of payer environments including PBM and payer owned pharmacies. Maintain an outstanding level of knowledge of pull through opportunities, program development, projected impact, and implementation techniques.
Competencies and job qualifications:
- In-depth knowledge of AZ product prescribing information
- Well developed negotiating skills.
- A high level of awareness and understanding of the implications and opportunities of contract strategy.
- A thorough knowledge of strategic marketing and selling.
- An in-depth knowledge of key account selling for targeted channels/segments.
- Proficiency with software applications and customer relationship management tools.
- An in-depth knowledge of AZ contract offerings and their applications.
- A high level of knowledge of current reimbursement modalities, including AWP, WAC, ASP, margin, spread, and MAC pricing.
- A thorough understanding of all corporate policies and procedures including Code of Conduct.
- Thorough understanding of Access support and services.
- An in-depth knowledge of the marketplace and applies that understanding to targeted national account segment/channel marketing, distribution strategy development and implementation to accomplish business objectives.
- The ability to influence key decision makers in targeted national account segment/channel.
- Recognized as a resource to cross functional partners responsible for targeted national account segments/channels.
Planning and Analysis:
- Plan, organize, and analyze in order to accomplish company and individual sales and business objectives.
- Maintain ability to develop, plan specific activities, implement, monitor, and adjust all-inclusive pull through plans that involve sales and sales management.
- Develop and update business plans for Senior Director owned accounts and lead the development and execution of National Account Director business plans.
- Manage expenses within set budgetary guidelines.
- Manage all assigned accounts through proper use of travel and administrative time.
- Maintain accurate targeted national account profiles and customer interactions via Veeva customer relationship management tool.
- Strong oral, written, and group communication skills with internal and external customers.
- Effective communication with targeted national accounts including C-suite customers.
- In a timely and accurate manner, submit all budgetary information, expense reports and administrative reports as requested.
- Maintain frequent contact with Executive Director, National Channel, MAPS and sales force colleagues.
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced business or science degree desirable.
- Prior experience leading a team and managing performance and development of direct reports.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong business partnerships with C-Suite and influence leaders in senior management within National Accounts.
- Understanding of the entire national account segment/channels including payor, trade distribution network, and specialty pharmacy providers.
- Overnight travel of 50% may be required.
- Previous experience dealing with the drug distribution networks and other targeted national account segments/channel is strongly desired.
- National Trade, Distribution, Retail, Payer, and Specialty Account management experience strongly desired.
- Sales, sales leadership, field reimbursement and regional account management experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to think conceptually, analytically, independently and strategically.
- Managed Care/Market Access experience is strongly desired.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.