Amgen is searching a Senior Counsel (IP Litigation). This Senior Counsel will report to the Associate General Counsel and will work out of our main corporate campus in Thousand Oaks, CA.
This Senior Counsel will have direct involvement and shared responsibility in all aspects of U.S. and international patent disputes, in both judicial and administrative tribunals, from initial issue identification through resolution.
Working in partnership with outside counsel and other in-house attorneys and staff, the Senior Counsel will develop and drive case strategies as an active team member, including all infringement, validity, and enforceability positions, and as needed, freedom to operate analysis. In addition, the Senior Counsel will have hands-on involvement in such things as witness interviews, electronic and paper document collection, development of document review strategies, management of privilege logs, support and/or conduct of depositions, drafting of discovery responses, motion and brief drafting, trial preparation (including witness selection and preparation, selection of trial exhibits, drafting of jury instructions, etc.), and participation at trial and on appeal.
In addition to litigating patent issues, the Senior Counsel will also be responsible for developing and counseling others on intellectual property strategies associated with Amgen's business and research endeavors.
10% - 20% domestic and global travel anticipated.
J.D. degree or LL.M. degree from an ABA accredited law school, admission to practice law in a U.S. jurisdiction and four (4) years of experience practicing intellectual property law
- 7+ years litigating U.S. patent disputes in federal and/or administrative courts, 4+ years of which involved biotechnology and/or chemistry-related matters
- Degree in the biological or chemical sciences and a working understanding of molecular biology, biochemistry, immunology, cellular biology, or the like
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills (including law firm or corporate experience having managed others) combined with a strong client service focus
- Excellent analytic, legal drafting and oral and written communication skills
- Some exposure to foreign adversarial proceedings (patent or SPC enforcement proceedings, nullity actions, PMNOC proceedings, oppositions, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and in teams, work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-dimensional projects
- Prior U.S. trial experience
- USPTO registration
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.