Senior Counsel – San Mateo, CA
ZS Pharma (a subsidiary of AstraZeneca) based in San Mateo, California will have a presence in the South San Francisco site (SSF site) along with other AstraZeneca Group companies in the Bay Area. We have an exciting opportunity available for an intellectually curious lawyer with significant knowledge of healthcare laws. We are seeking a Senior Counsel for the ZS Pharma business unit to provide legal advice to the Cardio-Renal Therapy Area as well as our new South San Francisco site. This position reports to the Vice President, Renal-Cardio Therapy Area.
AstraZeneca’s mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. We are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. We are industry-collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
AstraZeneca has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
We are excited to share that we will have a site in South San Francisco by end of 2017. Click here for more information on this new facility. Main Duties and Responsibilities
Ideal candidate will be an active business partner and advisor in commercial decision-making, with self-awareness and ability to articulate legal considerations and advice to senior stakeholders. Candidate must be a resilient, commercially oriented, enterprise thinker who has proven abilities to skillfully operate across functions. The Senior Counsel is expected work collaboratively with individuals at all levels of the organization and coordinate legal advice on significant matters with the broader legal team at AstraZeneca. Ensures that tactical leadership decisions are enforced in order for the business to achieve its objectives.
This role will operate as an integral member of the Therapeutic Area Leadership Team, contributing fully to business decisions with high quality legal advice and analysis. Along with the Therapeutic Area Leadership Team, the Senior Counsel will support a successful commercial launch of a key AstraZeneca asset. Strategic thinking and influencing skills are key as the position has a direct impact on business activities with significant reputational or financial value and risk.
- Law degree and professional legal qualification in California
- 7+ years of experience working in the pharmaceutical or healthcare industry including an understanding of the drug development life cycle
- Substantial legal experience covering a variety of complex legal arrangements, with significant knowledge of laws governing the pharmaceutical industry
- Strong leadership capabilities and demonstrable solution and action -oriented approach
- Monitors developing external legal trends and provide proactive, efficient, and solution-oriented legal advice to mitigate present and potential future legal risks
- Ability to maintain focus on business priorities and operate productively during periods of intense pressure
- Experience operating in a global legal department
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to implement cost-efficient legal strategies and policies in the assigned area consistent with stakeholder expectations.
- Ability to prioritize legal work and actively seek to improve existing ways of working
- Ability to mentor, motivate, and contribute to the professional development of team members
- Demonstrated accountability and high level of integrity, strong work ethic and leadership by example
- Extensive experience of working in the pharmaceutical industry and the regulations associated with this area.
- Able to engage a complex, wide range of issues.
- Highly committed, has a strong work ethic and leads by example.
- Impeccable integrity.
- Collaborative relationship builder who is calm under pressure.
- Willingness to travel and to accommodate the needs of working across multiple time zones.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.