At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. The Microbial Discovery group is recruiting a Ph.D. level scientist to support laboratory work for microbiome-associated applications. The Scientist I will contribute to efforts in planning and conducting experiments aimed at identifying, isolating and elucidating the modes of action of beneficial microbes. We seek candidates with experience in microbial ecology, molecular biology, genetics, functional metagenomics and other advanced ‘omics approaches. This is a 12 month temporary position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Contribute to a team effort aimed at the characterization of complex microbial communities including the isolation of targeted strains.
• Carefully execute laboratory experiments, including sampling and extraction of nucleic acids to generate genomic and metagenomic datasets
• Cultivate, isolate, and monitor the growth of strains employing a combination of classical microbiology techniques with advanced methods such as flow cytometric cell sorting, gel microdroplets, and other advanced techniques.
• Work closely with an interdisciplinary team, including bioinformatics, to analyze large metagenomic data sets, summarize, present results, and re-design further hypothesis-driven experiments.
• Instruct and provide guidance to Research Associates and Sr. Research Associates.
• Maintain a culture of safety in the laboratories and comply with Synthetic Genomics company policies including observance of US and California laws and regulations.
• Ph.D. in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, or related life sciences fields and 0-2 years of relevant postdoctoral or industrial experience. Candidates with a Masters degree and sufficiently pertinent and demonstrable experience may also be evaluated.
• Hands-on knowledge and expertise in the cultivation, isolation, and manipulation of microbes from diverse habitats and host systems, including anaerobic microbiology.
• Experience with modern nucleic acid extraction, purification, and preparation techniques required for Next-Gen sequencing.
• Broad understanding of microbial ecology and environmental microbiology, including a solid understanding of microbial physiology and interactions of microbes with their environment.
• Familiarity with bioinformatic sequence analysis and interpretation of complex microbiome datasets
• Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team, including the ability to evaluate and convey results in small and large group settings.
• Relevant laboratory experience in a biotechnology setting.
• Experience related to metabolic engineering, synthetic biology, and community or metabolic modeling