This position contributes to and supports the company’s research and development efforts to create high value therapeutics to address unmet medical needs.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Leading in the execution of design, synthesis, purification and characterization of bioactive compounds.
• Facilitating the design of new bioactive compounds by interacting with other chemists and biologists to optimize DMPK, in vitro, and in vivo pharmacology properties.
• Conducting laboratory experimentation to define new chemical routes to active pharmaceutical ingredients and intermediates, and scalable, cost effective processes.
• Participating in industrial route realization, including empirical route evaluation, process development, and technology transfer.
• Monitoring and evaluating tasks to meet project time frame.
The successful candidate will:
• Independently design drug-like molecules and safely apply practical synthetic techniques to efficiently deliver compounds for biological testing.
• Define and work on problems in which analysis of data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
• Independently develop approaches and experiments to address complex problems with sound judgment, using multiple data sources and drawing general, non-obvious conclusions.
• Plan and coordinate activities with other team members and will actively participate in the implementation of change when required.
• Lead in the use of professional and scientific concepts to contribute to the development of company concepts and principles to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways.
• Serve as an in-house consultant for organic and medicinal chemistry techniques, including SAR analysis discussion.
• Interface with various departments, customers and partners, putting work practices into context with larger teams.
• Write reports and protocols and participate in the development of patent applications
The successful candidate may:
• Assist with implementing organizational systems, identifying capital equipment, and projecting near-term resource requirements.
• Manage and / or provide guidance to junior scientific staff, providing training as needed, and ensure adherence to company policies and quality requirements.
• Act as an internal spokesperson on corporate research/technology/development and advise senior management. May independently represent the Company to outside organizations, when appropriate.
A PhD is required, with a focus in Organic or Medicinal Chemistry highly desirable. Equivalent experience may be accepted. A minimum of 2 years work experience in a research and/or development environment is required. Post-doctoral work may serve as experience. Exceptional non-PhDs with demonstrated capabilities and/or significant experience may also be considered.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to:
• Demonstrate hands-on technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought.
• Demonstrate independent problem solving capabilities and sound judgment
• Demonstrate strong organizational skills.
• Demonstrate expert knowledge in scientific principles and concepts with sustained performance and accomplishment.
• Work as part of a team, demonstrating good interpersonal skills.
• Clearly communicate scientific information, both written and oral, with the ability to present technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Demonstrate good computer skills Working knowledge of ChemDraw, MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint and CambridgeSoft ChemOffice is required.
• Previous management experience is a plus.