Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is seeking a highly motivated and capable individual for a scientist position in the laboratory of Dr. Margaret Shipp in the Division of Hematologic Neoplasia, Department of Medical Oncology. This position provides excellent opportunities for continued scientific development and contributions at the interface between research and administration in a dynamic laboratory environment and larger interdisciplinary setting.
The Shipp laboratory interests include the characterization of comprehensive molecular signatures, survival pathways and associated rational therapeutic targets in specific lymphoid malignancies. The group has a particular focus on genetic bases of immune evasion and associated therapeutic strategies. Website: http://shipplab.dfci.harvard.edu
The scientist will contribute to and benefit from the interdisciplinary environment of the Shipp Laboratory, which combines cell biology, molecular biology, genomics and bioinformatics, and tumor immunology to enable new discoveries of direct benefit to patients. The scientist will work closely with laboratory members, clinical collaborators and members of the larger multidisciplinary research group which includes colleagues in the DFCI/BWH Departments of Pathology and the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard. In addition, the senior scientist will have the opportunity to participate in the newly created DFCI Lymphoma Research Center.
- Collaborate with the PI at the interface between research and administration in the laboratory and larger collaborative research group.
- Work with the PI to review operational needs of the laboratory and develop and implement intermediate and long-term research goals.
- Assist the PI and lab members in the planning and execution of grant applications.
- Interact daily with post-doctoral fellows, graduate students and staff to provide training and guidance in laboratory techniques, experimental design, manuscript and grant writing.
- Work with the PI to develop and foster collaborations at Harvard Medical School, MIT and other institutions.
- Monitor progress of projects and suggest improvements to achieve research goals.
- Maintain a current knowledge of cancer research by reading the literature and attending meetings and interpret diverse scientific information.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
- Doctorate degree in biology or medicine, Ph.D preferred.
- Proven track record of supervisory experience leading and directing the performance and development of others.
- Outstanding verbal and written abilities, including experience writing grants, manuscripts and reports and developing presentations for large audiences.
- Recent related benchwork, preferably in cellular and molecular biology and immunology.
- Facility with the development and interrogation of genomic databases.
- Ability to critically review information and readily understand new concepts.
- Ability to develop innovative processes to achieve goals.
- Ability to independently review activates to continually work towards process improvement.
- 4 years of postgraduate experience and experience in writing and editing is required.
Please include a statement of interest and three references with your resume as a single document.