Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: FPRX) is a publicly traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing innovative immuno-oncology protein therapeutics for patients with serious unmet medical needs. Five Prime has entered into strategic collaborations with leading global pharmaceutical companies and has promising product candidates in clinical and preclinical development.
We currently have three protein therapeutics in clinical trials:
- FPA008: a monoclonal antibody that inhibits the CSF-1 receptor and is being studied in multiple tumor settings and pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS)
- FPA144: a monoclonal antibody targeting FGFR2b for selected gastric cancers
- FP-1039: a FGF ligand trap for mesothelioma
On the strength of our unique discovery platform and capabilities, we have entered into strategic collaborations with leading global pharmaceutical companies. We currently have three active research collaborations with Bristol-Myers Squibb, GlaxoSmithKline and UCB Pharma, S.A.
Five Prime is committed to innovation and outstanding science to develop effective new drugs for the treatment of severe diseases. These values are reflected in our people and our products. We value our culture of openness, collaboration and productivity. Discover more about FivePrime at www.fiveprime.com.
This is a unique opportunity for a highly-motivated scientist to join a team of pathologists, translational scientists, and technologists to design and implement complex experiments, and analyze data to support ongoing biomarker efforts in clinical and non-clinical programs at FivePrime. The ideal candidate will play an important role by applying state of the art technologies to analyze biological specimens, and by designing, developing and integrating innovative technologies, while closely interacting with project teams. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and performing molecular assays based on Next Generation Sequencing as well as real-time qPCR and data analysis. Performing other cellular and molecular pathology approaches such as flow cytometry and immunoassays are also envisaged to elucidate target prevalence, mechanism of action, and pharmacodynamics to guide the development of new drugs to treat human cancers.
Essential Job Functions:
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to: designing complex quantitative pathology assays, and implementing new technologies to address key questions about our therapeutic candidates. Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and implement molecular-based biomarker strategies using tissue and liquid biopsies to support drug development efforts
- Develop molecular-based and fit-for-purpose assays, validate and optimize reagents
- Perform routine manual and automated nucleic-acid based assays, plus other molecular pathology techniques as needed. Perform other supportive functions such as assay validation and documentation.
- Process cell pellets, human and animal tissues as well as liquid biopsies including whole blood and serum/plasma.
- Provide comprehensive decision-enabling reports as needed
- Participate in meetings, discuss and provide feedback to project teams
- Standardize workflow and reports
- Will learn and help implement new technologies as needed
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. with strong background in molecular biology is essential, with 4-8 years of direct experience in developing nucleic acid-based biomarkers.
- Demonstrable expertise in all aspects of molecular diagnostic development including NGS and PCR is essential, experience within immuno-oncology field is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in development of predictive or pharmacodynamics biomarkers is required. Successful candidate must be able to demonstrate he or she has succeeded in taking a hypothesis-driven biomarker assay from concept to validation.
- Experience in applying DNA/RNA profiling techniques in formalin-fixed tissue and liquid biopsies is required.
- Experience with genome and expression analysis is required
- Experience with developing multiplexed molecular-based assay to profile tumor microenvironments is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, independent thinking and collaborative work is required.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a small group and excellent written and verbal communication and teamwork skills are essential.
- A strong track record as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals is essential
- Self-motivated and capable of demonstrating technical competence.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and ability to influence and collaborate in a team environment
- Analytical and excellent problem-solving skills
Please complete an online application here: