Location:Gaithersburg, United StatesJob reference:
Sep. 16, 2016
If you're inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions -- join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in people's lives every day. As one of the world's premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I/Scientist II in Gaithersburg, MD, you'll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives.
We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We're pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we're industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will carry out detailed characterization of biopharmaceutical products, such as humanized monoclonal antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates, and recombinant proteins. You will be responsible for product variant isolation / enrichment and characterization, identification of protein degradation pathways, structure-functional analysis, and determination of critical quality attributes. Your work will support and writing regulatory filings, as well as troubleshooting for projects in research and development. In addition, you will work on complex and technically demanding projects where analysis of data requires an evaluation of multiple variables. You will make detailed experimental observations, review and analyze data, and interpret experimental results. Lastly, you will present scientific data to both internal audiences within the company and external scientific colleagues.
* Scientist I: MS degree in Biochemistry or a related field, with six to ten years of experience, or Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry or a related field, with zero to three years of experience
* Scientist II: MS degree in Biochemistry or a related field, with ten to thirteen years of experience, or Ph.D. degree in Biochemistry or a related field, with three to seven years of experience
* The ability to follow SOPs, policies, and regulations, and to perform routine lab equipment maintenance
* Ability to work in a matrix structure and interface with different groups within research and development
* Have broad background on protein chemistry, including structure characterization using varies analytical techniques
* Knowledge of molecular biology and immunology
* Experience with HPLC, gel electrophoresis, mass spectrometry including HDX, and Biacore
* Excellent teamwork and verbal communication skills
* Good documentation and excellent writing skills with publications
* Good multi-tasking, time management and organizational skills
* Experience in an industrial analytical lab working with therapeutic proteins is desirable.
* Supervisory, time/project management, and regulatory filing experience
* HPLC, mass spec, gel electrophoresis, Previous GLP and/or cGMP experience
Next Steps -- Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience -- it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law