If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I/II– Proteomics in Gaithersburg, MD, you will play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it.
We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent. Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will work in the laboratory as member of the expanding proteomics and protein biochemistry group using state-of-the-art proteomics technology to investigate a number of biological questions. This is a key proteomics application position that requires comprehensive expertise and hands-on experience in this area.
You must be passionate about life science and lab bench work. You must also have a thorough understanding of modern mass spectrometry and chromatography. You will support the operation and maintenance of advanced state-of-the-art nanoflow liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry (LC-MS) instrumentation (Orbitrap Fusion, Agilent QTOF, QTRAP6500) that enable cutting-edge proteomic profiling and translational research across our therapeutic areas.
You have to demonstrate a proven record of being a fast learner, excellent communicator and thoughtful team member.
You should be highly motivated, innovative, detail-oriented, creative, well organized and able to work independently when designing and executing experiments and will be expected to manage and prioritize several different projects and tasks in line with the objectives of the group. Your projects may include development of novel proteomic technologies or application of already existing ones to address current challenges in biology, and may entail mass spectrometric analysis of cancer cell lines, tissue samples from animal models and patient material.
- Ph.D. in Proteomics, Mass Spectrometry, Analytical Chemistry or related field.
- 2-8 years of post-doctoral experience in a relevant research area
- The position is a hands-on, laboratory-based position
- The candidate must have prior experience in proteomics technology development and/or nano-liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry (LC-MS; ideally on Orbitrap Fusion, QTOF and QTRAP)
- The candidate should be familiar with the entire proteomics pipeline (including sample preparation, LC and MS operation, data analysis) and must be able to conduct independent and creative research
- The candidate must demonstrate scientific productivity
- The candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- An analytical aptitude for devising innovative scientific or technical solutions is highly desired
- Furthermore, the candidate should demonstrate enthusiasm, motivation, attention to detail and willingness to learn new technologies, flexibility and confidence
- Proven ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals, generate technical report summaries and protocols
- Experience with peptide SRM assay development
- Ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines to investigate drug candidates and disease properties.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.