If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I- Medicinal Chemist in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are current seeking a highly motivated and innovative medicinal chemist to join Antibody Drug Conjugate (ADC) team within the Department of Antibody Discovery and Protein Engineering. The successful candidate will be responsible for the design, synthesis, and characterization of novel potent warheads/payloads for the next generation of ADCs with improved therapeutic index. In addition, you will work in a multidisciplinary matrix environment and support the research in chemistry-biology interface to address a range of key challenges associated with therapeutic biologics. You will be also expected the hands-on execution of experiments on the bench and the external collaboration with CROs for chemical synthesis.
- In-depth knowledge in structure-activity relationships
- Highly innovative and productive with strong synthetic problem solving skills
- Proven ability to design efficient synthetic routes for the synthesis of novel compounds.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the use and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Strong analytic skill set using LC/MS, HPLC, NMR, etc.
- Proven ability to work efficiently and independently in a highly dynamic team environment
- Must be able to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, or relevant scientific discipline with 3+ years of post-doctoral relevant experience
- Previous experience with the synthesis of tubulysins is highly preferred
- Proven track record of success in the synthesis of complex compounds
- Experience and knowledge in antibody drug conjugates and linker/drug design
- Previous experience in drug conjugation using different chemistries
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.