If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I / II in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent. Main Duties and Responsibilities
This role can be filled as either Scientist I or Scientist II.
MedImmune has an opening for a Scientist I / II, Human T Cell Immunologist within the Chronic Infections Research Group in Gaithersburg, MD. You will be an integral part of a team whose goal is to design and develop novel immunotherapies for chronic viral infections. You will be responsible for developing and conducting novel cell-based assays for the evaluation of biologics that modulate T cell function. Activities will include defining mechanism-of-action using cellular, genetic, molecular, and biochemical techniques. You will also play a role in discovery research to identify and characterize novel targets. You will need to work effectively as part of a team and independently within their role. May supervise research associates within a matrix reporting structure.
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Virology, Cell Biology or related field and 2-3 years post-doctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated broad theoretical and practical knowledge of the field of Human T Cell Immunology which will include a deep understanding of T cell phenotypic and functional maturation and mechanisms which drive T cell tolerance.
- In-depth experience developing and/or conducting in vitro antigen presentation assays and T cell expansion for the purpose of studying mechanisms which regulate T cell function.
- Previous experience characterizing/phenotyping human T cells isolated from the peripheral blood of both health subjects and patients with chronic infections, such as HIV or HBV.
- Extensive experience with multi-color flow cytometry and standard laboratory procedures for the study of cellular immune responses (e.g. ELISpot, Luminex, ELISA, etc.) is required.
- Experience with genetic, molecular, and biochemical experimental methodology.
- Ability to define critical scientific questions/hypothesis and address them through the design and execution of controlled experimentation.
- Ability to prepare precise protocols, quantitative analyses, and technical reports.
- Highly organized, with the ability to develop focused work packages, prioritize based on defined goals, and work both independently and as part of a team.
- Scientist I – Ph.D. plus up to three years of experience
- Scientist II – Ph.D. plus four or more years of experience
- Experience with NHP T cell immunology
- Experience working with research associates
- Solid publication record
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate to a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to work cross-functionally with scientists from other disciplines.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law