If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I/II in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it.
We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties for the ideal candidate are to help build the internal AAV platform capable of using viral approaches to support MedImmune’s programs. This candidate will be responsible for developing the next generation of AAV technology for targeted delivery with improved efficacy, potency, transduction, safety and manufacturability. In addition, you will be working in a multidisciplinary matrix environment to drive programs forward and conceive, design, and execute the technique strategies aiming to generate novel AAV variants and address the current limitations associated with AAV for desired properties. You will also plan and hands-on execution of experiments on the bench. You will need to coordinate in vivo studies internally or externally with CROs. You may supervise research associates within a matrix reporting structure.
- Extensive experience and in-depth knowledge with AAV research and gene therapy as evidenced by strong publications.
- Prior experience in optimizing AAV vector structural components for targeted viral deliveries.
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively plan and organize work activities, and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines
- Experience in mammalian cell culture, molecular biology, protein biochemistry, immunoassays, flow cytometry, and quantitative PCR methods.
- Must be able to multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong motivation, attention to detail, ability to think independently and fully integrate into a high achieving team environment.
- Ph.D. in AAV Biology, Virology, Cell Biology or relevant scientific discipline.
- Scientist I: Ph.D with 3+ years of post-doctoral relevant experience.
- Scientist II: Ph.D with 6+ years of post-doctoral relevant experience.
- Experience with in vivo panning.
- Experience with adenovirus, herpes simplex virus, and baculovirus.
- Experience in gene correction and genome editing using CRISPR.
- Strong collaboration and team-working skills.
- Excellent verbal communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.