If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I/II, Downstream in Frederick, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, designs, and executes multiple simultaneous projects that are complex and technically demanding within a specific area/field.
- Initiates, implements, plans, directs, and executes investigations to resolve deviations, understand process trends, and/or improve process performance.
- Responsible for balancing day-to-day technical support for manufacturing and longer term projects and investigations.
- Responsible for maintaining technical expertise on an entire section of the downstream (purification) manufacturing process.
- Typically conducts more than one significant project at a time.
- Develops investigation findings and makes recommendations.
- Works under general supervision of higher-level scientist or manager.
- Makes detailed observations, analyzes data, and interprets results.
- Effectively presents results at internal meetings and external scientific meetings.
- Utilizes forward-looking perspective to contribute to “go/no go” decisions.
- Responsible for meeting project goals within time and budget constraints.
- May make recommendations on outside technologies for company to pursue.
- May indirectly supervise lower-level scientists and associates.
- Applies extensive expertise as a generalist, or specialist.
- Has a working knowledge of related disciplines (e.g., upstream, drug product, manufacturing).
- Applies, on a broad base, principles, theories, and concepts to a specific field.
- Maintains high level of expertise through review of current scientific literature, submissions to scientific journals, and attendance and participation at conferences focused on the research and development efforts of the company.
- Solid understanding of statistics and applications, including statistical process control and design of experiments.
- Develops solutions to complex problems requiring ingenuity and creativity.
- Applies knowledge of technical theories and principles on a broad base where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Frequent inter- and intra-departmental collaborations.
- Establishes contacts with outside centers of excellence in field of specialization and has contacts with customers and suppliers.
- May have external alliances.
- Active in professional organizations.
Education and Experience
- BS Required, MS or PhD Preferred
- PhD 6 years, MS >8 years, BS >10 years
Freedom to Act
- Work is performed without appreciable direction.
- Has latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment.
- Work is monitored for technical judgment and achievement.
- Work typically impacts all teams at the FMC site.
- Assesses and provides options to management for process decisions that have a significant impact.
- Decisions or recommendations consistently result in achieving one or more key project objectives.
- Internal recognition as an emerging expert by the MedImmune technical community through objective criteria such as publications, patents, internal presentations, and critical contributions to drug development.
- Has demonstrated leadership through project team participation, internal consulting and mentoring.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.