If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I – Cancer Biologyin Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent. Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will work in the laboratory as member of a group investigating novel cellular and molecular mechanisms of cancer by employing the most relevant cellular in vitro human systems and animal models, when applicable. Additionally, you will support preclinical drug discovery programs, through validation assays required for the selection and functional characterization of new lead monoclonal antibodies.
You will also play a significant role in the interrogation of the intersection between lipids, metabolism and cancer growth / progression by exploring novel biology and developing drug target programs based on the newly discovered biology. May involve multiple therapeutic approaches including antibodies and in vivo expressed biologics.
You should be highly motivated, innovative, creative, well organized and able to work independently when designing and executing experiments and will be expected to manage and prioritize several different projects and tasks in line with the objectives of the group.
- Ph.D. in Cancer Biology or related field.
- 2-4 years of post-doctoral experience in a relevant research area
- Or -
- 3-5 years of experience in cancer biology research.
- The position is a hands-on, laboratory based position. Strong molecular biology skills (RNA/DNA/protein extraction, western blotting, quantitative PCR, ELISAs, etc) along with experience in multi-color flow cytometry
- Strong cell biology experience such as tissue culture techniques, assessment of apoptosis / cell cycle arrest, isolation and culture of primary cells and the use of co-culture systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- In vivo tumor model experience, willingness to learn if the applicant has no prior experience
- Proven ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals, generate technical report summaries and protocols
- Previous experience in aspects of drug discovery/development
- Knowledge in genomics and proteomics database interrogation and analyses
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.