If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Scientist I, Biophysics in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent. Main Duties and Responsibilities
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist to join our analytical sciences group at MedImmune. This is a laboratory-based position primarily responsible for particle, higher order structure (HOS), and biophysical characterization of humanized monoclonal antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates, and recombinant proteins and peptides.
Responsibilities will include method development, elucidation of structure, comparability, characterization, and investigations of protein therapeutics and vaccines. You will be preparing presentations, technical reports, and scientific publications. You will also work on complex and technically demanding projects where analysis of data requires an evaluation of multiple variables.
You will have hands-on competency and theoretical understanding in several of the following technique categories:
- spectroscopy (circular dichroism, fluorescence, infrared spectroscopy, RAMAN, NMR)
- calorimetry (differential scanning calorimetry, isothermal titration calorimetry)
- protein association analysis (analytical ultracentrifugation, light scattering, chromatography)
- particle analysis (light obscuration, flow microscopy, FTIR microscopy).
- BS with 10-13 years of relevant experience
- Good communicator and collaborator
- Able to work in a diverse work environment
- Good organizational skills
Next Steps – Apply today!
- PhD degree in Biochemistry/Biophysical Chemistry/Biochemical Engineering or similar.
- Hands-on laboratory experience and knowledge of the theoretical principles in biophysical characterization of proteins.
- Candidates with industrial or institutional experience in biopharmaceutical research and development or protein chemistry or research are encouraged to apply for this position.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.