Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated is seeking a Research Scientist I for an exciting opportunity within its cross-functional chemical biology group. The successful candidate would have a proven expertise in bio-conjugation methods and state of the art fluorescence detection and dye synthesis. The preferred candidate would have a strong synthetic chemistry background and able to comfortably work at the interface between organic chemistry, molecular biology, and protein biophysics. The successful candidate will be able to work independently, be able to multi-task, be able to work collaboratively in teams, and be adaptable to changing needs. A strong desire to grow as chemist and the courage to challenge conventional wisdom are essential.
- Master’s degree in organic synthesis
- 3+ years of relevant experience applied fluorescence and/or bioconjugation methods
- Organize efforts to stay consistent with project priorities
- Demonstrated effective communication skills, both verbal and written to a broad range of audiences
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- Ph.D. in organic synthesis
- 0-3 years of relevant experience applied fluorescence and/or bioconjugation methods
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.