If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Research Project Managerin Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent. Main Duties and Responsibilities
This is an opportunity for a highly-motivated biotech/pharma professional with experience of drug discovery and early development to join a fast-moving science-based company, in an exciting and influential role that requires strategic thinking and excellent management capabilities. You will work with the Research Project Teams (RPTs) and scientific leaders to deliver innovative drug projects from Research through to pre-clinical Development. You will have a good understanding of drug discovery and early stage development within the biotech / pharmaceutical industry, have a scientific background and experience of managing / leading projects within a cross-functional matrix environment.
Duties and responsibilities will include the following: Planning, management and progression of multiple research phase drug projects through to early development; Working with the project leaders and functional representatives on project teams to develop the project strategy in alignment with overarching strategy of the therapy area; Leading the translation of project strategy into project plans and key deliverables; Challenging team and functional representatives on assumptions for time, costs and risk in order to optimize project delivery; Efficient governance of the project including milestone tracking, monitoring variances to plan and budget, and reporting progress to stakeholders; Driving project teams to meet the deliverables, goals and timelines; Managing project team meeting logistics/facilitation, issue resolution/scheduling, agendas and minutes; With the Project Leader, drive the development of high quality presentations for key governance committees; Act as a role model for partnering, collaboration and cross functional working; Act as the ‘Hub’ for project information; Creation and maintenance of project plans and budgets; Monitoring risks in real time to ensure project team engagement and mitigation plans are activated as required.
Alliance Management & External Collaborations/Engagement of External Experts
When required, you will act as the Alliance Manager for projects / programs and be responsible for the effective management of the alliance/academic collaboration. You will partner with legal, BD, Strategic Sourcing, and finance representatives to serve as the knowledge expert on contractual obligations with the partner. Ensure that financial and reporting obligations are captured and monitored in OPAL as applicable. Ensure necessary infrastructure needs are met for interactions with the partner/collaborator. Establish and agree to standard practices for alliance/collaboration communications
- BA/BS in a biological science with significant experience of working in a Research environment and greater than 4 years’ experience in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently and with confidence around senior management.
- Advanced degree (e.g, MS with greater than two years’ experience in the industry)
- Professional Project Management certification
- Understand the overall biologic/pharmaceutical product development process, stages of drug discovery and experience participating on a cross functional project teams.
- A proven track record in the application of project management processes associated with the discovery and early development of drugs, combined with the scientific acumen and a strategic vision necessary to guide drug discovery projects within defined therapeutic areas.
- Working knowledge of the biological sciences with technical or scientific expertise in one or more functional areas involved in biologic/pharmaceutical product development.
- Working knowledge of project management software solutions, including skills in critical path analysis. MS Project and/or Planisware experience is an advantage.
- Understanding of financial and resource planning systems and processes and ability to coordinate project-level budget/resource estimates and manage actuals vs. plan.
- Ability to manage teams and individuals in a matrix environment, ability to track team performance against objectives, use of effective meeting management tools and techniques, and knowledge of decision-making and conflict resolution techniques.
- Ability to maintain project information, and to integrate and distribute appropriate information to senior management and team members.
- Ability to negotiate with team members to resolve project/team issues.
- Confidence when chairing / leading discussions within project teams and with senior management
- Must be professional, dedicated, and detail-oriented and have the flexibility to travel domestically and internationally.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, analytical, and computer skills.
- Strong organizational skills required, including good time management skills.
- Highly organized and able to work independently on multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law