Symic Bio is a clinical stage biotherapeutics company developing novel compounds that target and affect the extracellular matrix (ECM), the noncellular component of tissue. The ECM plays a critical role in a wide variety of processes involved in acute and chronic indications. Symic Bio’s proprietary compounds function like proteoglycans, which are naturally occurring macromolecules that play important structural and regulatory functions in the ECM. Symic Bio currently has two clinical candidates, one in vascular injury and the other in osteoarthritis. In addition, Symic Bio has several preclinical programs in oncology, fibrosis and CNS disorders.
Symic Bio is looking for a Senior Research Associate to help execute scientific research that advances the company’s platform. The primary responsibility for this position is synthesizing molecules for research and preclinical use which involves producing novel molecules for various targets. Reporting to the Scientist I (Research), you will be responsible for planning, designing and executing syntheses pathways toward key target molecules, followed by purification and compound characterization. Communication of results, methods and conclusions to departmental team members is essential. Collaboration with colleagues across disciplines, participation in project team meetings, and contribution toward creative problem solving are all encouraged.
• Plan and execute assigned experiments that support research activities and project goals.
• Select appropriate methods and techniques in performing experiments.
• Author SOP’s and technical reports under the guidance of your supervisor.
• Collaborate with supervisor to develop research methods including testing methodologies.
• Assist with troubleshooting anomalous or inconsistent results generated.
• Recommend alternatives, research new methods and techniques, and proactively seek out others to discuss potential solutions to problems.
• Conduct scientific literature searches.
• Participate in group meetings. Present results of work, interpret data, and draw conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work.
• Keep laboratory space safe and clean.
• Order routine laboratory supplies and equipment.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 3 + years of relevant experience with B.S. or M.S. in chemistry, biochemistry, bioengineering or related discipline.
• Familiarity with wet lab techniques such as pipetting, weighing, preparing buffers, filtration, and operating lab equipment.
• Strong desire to work in fast paced environment in multi-disciplinary teams, and proactively solve problems.
• Careful documentation in laboratory notebooks with attention to detail.
• A strong interest in synthetic/organic chemistry combined with good lab skills.
• Familiarity with chromatographic techniques such as LCMS, SEC, and HPLC.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to analyze, interpret and author testing methods and standard operating procedures.
• Adaptable to dynamic environments and able to multi-task.
• Positive and collaborative disposition who works easily within a team.
Location: Symic is located in Emeryville, CA
Compensation: Competitive salary and equity as one of the early hires of the company