At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Research Associate II/ Senior Research Associate to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The Research Associate II/Senior Research Associate will work within the Viral Systems Unit, which focuses on the development of novel RNA-based vaccines in the fields of emerging diseases and cancer. The primary role of this position is to maintain the groups cell culture facility as well as assist in developing, performing, and interpreting in vitro characterization of new platform designs prior to their testing in vivo. This position requires strong cell culture and flow cytometry expertise. Opportunities may arise to occasionally support the molecular construction of new platform designs so previous experience in virology and molecular biology will be considered a plus. Excellent verbal, presentation, and written communication skills are essential and the capability to effectively work in a team environment is required.
Experience in the following areas is essential:
• Mammalian cell culture (growth, maintenance, cryopreservation, etc…)
• Transfection, electroporation and/or transduction of mammalian cells.
• Flow cytometry
Experience in one or more of the following areas is a plus:
• Advanced molecular biology techniques
• RNA production and handling
• Recombinant virus production and/or characterization
• Biochemical and/or cell based assays relevant to virology
• Outstanding experiment design, problem-solving, and data analysis skills
• Able to effectively multitask and advance various projects simultaneously
• Supports scientists in assay development
• Strong ability to work independently and develop an expanding technical and theoretical knowledge base
• Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, and organizational skills
Education and Work Experience:
• Requires a BS in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Immunology, Virology or related field, Master’s degree preferred. PhD level candidates will not be considered for this position.
• Requires a minimum of three-years relevant laboratory experience in industry or academia
• Highly capable in techniques commonly used in mammalian cell culture
• Experienced and comfortable running and analyzing flow cytometry
• Detail oriented with an ability to independently record scientific progress
• Biosafety level 2 experience is preferred